diy solar

diy solar

Automating load management

Clueless Noob

The family and I are still arguing about how much inverter we actually need...

My single biggest load is the well pump. But it only runs about 5 minutes total per day, and the odds that it will kick on at exactly the same time as the fridges and freezers is pretty small. So I started thinking about automatic load management to deal with the well pump.

Is this the dumbest idea ever?

I want to find a pressure switch that is NO on the well pump side (this is normal, so far), but also allows for a NC connection where I can hook a MWBC for food storage stuff. So when the plumbing calls for more water, the MWBC is switched off and the pump is switched on. I'm having no luck googling such a switch, either because I don't know what search terms to use, or because no such switch exists because this is a really dumb thing to want to do. Any advice? Thanks.

Not the dumbest idea ever but I will offer that if you're cutting the inverter sizing so close that you want to lock out out the well pump when other loads are running you're both cutting it to close and adding a level complication that will take away from your overall system uptime and reliability.

What is the starting surge of your well pump? In some cases it can be easier to replace your well pump with a Grundfos SQ pump that has no starting surge.

Back