diy solar

diy solar

Available capacity of solar panel array question

SolarHead

50% of people are below average. (Its a statistic)
I've been wondering something, not sure there's an answer but thought I would ask here. Something I didn't understand about a year ago when I was a complete newbie (still a newbie) was that solar panels only put out the amount of power that they are called up to produce. It all seems to be based on the load(s) at which are you trying to cover using your solar system. Before getting into solar, I kind of assumed a 300 watt panel put out 300 watts when there was sun. What I found out is, they basically sleep until called upon to produce power. Makes sense because you wouldn't want to bring a lot of power into the home if it's not needed. The inverter doesn't want the extra power unless the home is calling for it. So anyway, my question is below.

Say I have a 10kw solar panel array. Say its a semi cloudy day, not bad, you look at your inverter and it shows your load is 2,000 watts and the solar panels are producing 2,000 watts, so your array is covering the loads, great. But, its semi cloudy day, you wonder, does my array have any more capacity, that is, room to increase its output, or is it maxed out based on the clouds? So the wife starts bread in the toaster, now you're using 3500 watts total, you look at your inverter and its making 2,000 watts, and the 1500 extra is having to be pulled from the grid since there's not enough solar power. Then, next day, say you're load is 4,000 watts, and its a bright clear sunny day and you look at your inverter is covering (producing) 4,000 watts and covering the load. You can imagine there's probably another 5,000 or 6,000 watts you could pull from your solar panels if needed. What I'm getting at is, is there a way to see what your solar panel array is doing,,,if it's maxed out at the time you look at things, or is it simply covering the loads but has capacity to do triple what its being asked to do. I guess I'm thinking it'd be great to have a "capacity meter" or something, but it would probably require some type of sun irradiance sensor or meter installed out at the array which tells you through your inverters reports, what the max capacity is at the moment. You are pulling 2000 watts from the panels, but your load is 4000, you can imagine the array is maxed out at 2,000. Sunny day, you're load is 4,000, array is covering it by producing 4,000 , but your capacity meter says you got another 5000 watts to go before your maxed out based on the sun power you are getting at the moment. Sorry for lengthy post, just trying to get my point/question across. Some might ask why does it matter and I get that. But what if you're thinking a report to see exactly how much power you're kind of letting pass you by without capturing it. Then you would know if you could get more batteries, or send excess power to a water heater, or something like that. I even thought if I had excess power I could send it to an electric baseboard heater in my basement. Whatever excess sun power I get, it goes to helping heat my house since heat rises. It wouldn't be a guaranteed thing , but at least I would be using all the solar that's coming my way and not letting any power go to waste if this makes sense.

I have a Sol-Ark 12K and 10kw of solar panel array, and use PowerView Plus for reports. I don't see a way to get available capacity that is over and above what I'm consuming/producing and not sure if that's even possible.

The following thread discusses this same question:

I am running two 12K's, 20,640W PV, 132kWh battery. Until a 40F, bright sunny day last week, I thought I would never bring in more than 60 kWh in one day. I brought in 65 per inverter or 130kWh total. When you have a low battery after three days of cloudy weather and heat pumps/water heater to power, it is amazing how much power you can bring in. Do you have a battery connected? I look to see if I am in absorb 55V or Float 54V with less than 10A going into each of my 10 batteries. If topped off, then I tell the family to wash/dry laundry, take showers and I usually run the thermostats higher to store energy for night. You can tell by the brightness and angle of the sun, whether you have excess energy just dying to be consumed.

i'm going to put a timer on my water heater so that I can heat water to 140F during the day and turn the water heater off at dark every night and back on the next morning at 10 AM. I have a mixing valve if I wanna go up to 150 or 160°F.

I know from my experience in the last month that I will need more PV in January/February.

132kWh battery
Holy smokes Batman. What brand/model of batteries do you have? I read you have 10 total.

I have one Sol-Ark 12K, 10kw PV, and soon to have 20.48 kwh of LifePo4 battery bank. Currently I have 183AH of AGM just to get me going, four of them in series to make 48V. I discharge to 50% so I have roughly about 90AH of battery. I have seen where if battery bank is down, theres a good load , and the sun in shining I see 8,500watts of PV happening, my loads covered, battery bank getting charged and its great to see things working. I just kind of wonder, okay once my batteries are topped off, sun still shining, my load is down somewhat, how much power is still out there that I am not capturing and if I knew how much I could design for it, buy a water heater to pre-heat water, or install an electric baseboard heater in the basement to maybe keep it warm of offset the heating of the house if heat rises from basement. I figure I paid for the system, might as well use all of what it can produce. I posted in the thread above that rmaddy linked to.

btw, I have a buddy in town that has an RV10, nice plane. He flipped it once I think. It was a "good landing" one he walked away from.

I saw 10,600W from each inverter with 184A out from each inverter to my batteries. 368 total. Each battery was taking in 34-40A. I didn't think I'd ever see over the panel power rating from what everyone has said. I have 48 430W QCells G6. Just like our house, garage, solar system, we also built the RV-10. It is as risky as a my motorcycle, maybe more. If you go slow on a motorcycle you'll usually live longer. If you go slow in a plane you'll die fast and usually burn up. I have lost several friends to both. I prefer my solar hobby more everyday as I get older.

Started on dirt bikes, go-karts, atv's at the age of 7, have owned Harleys and sport bikes and consider myself a very competent rider, but no longer own any motorcycles due to the amount of people that have a cell phone in hand while driving. I don't consider the roads we have a safe place to ride anymore.

What you're doing is what I think most people directly or indirect do with building a solar system, that is, they tend to grow into it. Adding more and more, or replacing some components for better, or different , and over time have it meet their load requirements and lifestyle (hot tubs, heat turned up to 95 degrees, whatever). That's about the only way to kind of fine-tune I think is with trial and error, watching reports, etc. I think it would be great if we knew how much power over time (week/month/year) our systems COULD be making would be helpful information. Any over-size would be discovered by way of reports showing what COULD have been made, but wasn't.

diy solar

diy solar
Back