diy solar

diy solar

Awkward PV wiring question

tonyg

Hi,

There will be some panels mounted further away from the MPPT and inverter, about 20m away.

The panel configuration is 3s3p (3 series, 3 parallel). Each panel is 41.2V VoC and 12.28A Isc. That means over 30A when all are combined.
Victron says MC4 connections are rated to 30 A only, and as such, I plan to bring all the wires for each of the series (6 wires in total) to the shed, where I'll combine them appropriately and do the surge protection, etc.

I think this is better than combining the output at the panels' place (hard to access rooftop) and then bringing just two thicker wires to the shed, right?

Many thanks.

Hi,

There will be some panels mounted further away from the MPPT and inverter, about 20m away.

The panel configuration is 3s3p (3 series, 3 parallel). Each panel is 41.2V VoC and 12.28A Isc. That means over 30A when all are combined.
Victron says MC4 connections are rated to 30 A only, and as such, I plan to bring all the wires for each of the series (6 wires in total) to the shed, where I'll combine them appropriately and do the surge protection, etc.

I think this is better than combining the output at the panels' place (hard to access rooftop) and then bringing just two thicker wires to the shed, right?

Many thanks.
I am a fan of simple. If it is easier for you to use 6 sets of #10 or 12, than it is to use a single pair of #6 that is your decision. Keep in mind, conduit size choice is worse when more than 2 wires are used in conduit. Code requires 40% fill max, and conductor derating iirc…

I would guess you need to bring the wires down from the roof to the ground, before exiting the shed location. If you combined at the shed, but not on the roof then you would have easy access to the connections if you wanted to disconnect a string for testing or whatever. With the cost of wire, I would work to avoid 6 conductor 20m run, unless the wire cost was a wash. Second thought, smaller wire is easier to pull. I have 6, #10 THHN in a 1" conduit, pretty easily.

diy solar

diy solar
Back