diy solar

diy solar

Back to basics: Solar Arrays 101

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
So, it has recently come to my attention that I know less than I thought (the lesson that life keeps on teachin' ?), and that some of what I thought I knew was wrong or incomplete (more on that in a future post. This took me down a rabbit hole of research, which led to many new questions and very few new answers (a situation I find myself in often?). As tempted as I am to just ask the scattershot of new questions now occupying my mind, I'm going to practice my deep breathing, slow down, and begin with the basics, so bear with me. This post is one part teaching, and one part learning through explaining, if you see anything that is wrong or inaccurate or incomplete, point it out. It is meant as a beginner friendly very basic introduction to PV arrays and wiring, and a lead up to a future intermediate level post on some of the complexities (where I will probably have more questions than answers).

Amps measure electrical current (flow) in a circuit. Volts are a unit of electrical potential or 'electrical pressure' and can be thought of as the 'pushing force' that causes electricity to flow. Resistance (measured in Ohms) opposes the flow of electricity in a circuit. Resistance can be useful or intentional (every device powered by electricity acts like a resistor) or non-useful and unavoidable in which case its just an inefficiency like resistance in a wire. Ohms law is the relationship between these three things: Voltage = Current x Resistance (which can also be represented as Current = Voltage / Resistance or Resistance = Voltage / Current).

If we imagine a water hose in a closed loop, with an inline pump, and an inline water turbine or constriction in the pipe. The rate of water flow through the hose is equivalent to 'current', the pump creates the pushing force, and the water turbine or constriction in the pipe are sources of resistance (a useful resistance in the case of the water turbine).

The practical takeaway for the purpose of this conversation is that because current is a rate of flow, like water flowing in a hose, if flow is restricted at any point in the circuit, the flow rate is lowered for the whole circuit.

Solar Arrays 101
A solar array is a grouping of solar panels, and a solar panel is made up of individual solar cells usually connected in series. Panels can be arranged in series, in parallel, or combination of series and parallel. Regardless of how you arrange your panels, power output (Watts) will be the same, but current, voltage, and performance in specific conditions will differ.

Simply put, with series there is one path for current to flow, while with parallel there are multiple current paths.

There are many factors that influence the best way to design and wire your array. Wiring efficiency, controller type (PWM, MPPT), controller limits (max input volts, amps), mppt optimization, partial shading, differences in irradiance or conditions across the array, or even mismatched panels. Covering these factors is beyond the scope of this post, but be aware of them.

Series
When panels are connected in series, voltage is multiplied by the number of panels in series, but the current stays the same. Panels connected in series are tolerant of differences in voltage, but intolerant of differences in currents. If one or more panels has a lower current, all panels in series will be reduced to the current of the panel outputting the lowest current. As you can see in the example below, panels are wired in series positive to negative and there is one path for current to flow.

Untitled Diagram(8)(1).png

Parallel
When panels are connected in parallel, current is multiplied by the number of panels in parallel, but the voltage stays the same. Panels connected in parallel are tolerant of different currents, but intolerant of different voltages. If there is a difference in voltage, all panels will be reduced to the voltage of the lowest voltage panel. As you can see in the example below, panels are wired by combining the positives and combining the negatives, and there are multiple parallel paths for current to flow.

Untitled Diagram(8)(1)(1).png

Series-Parallel Combination
A third option is to first wire your cells into series connected groups called 'strings' or 'in-series' strings or pairs and then wire these strings in parallel. In this configuration voltage is multiplied by the number of panels in a series string and then current is multiplied by the number of strings in parallel. Each in-series string is tolerant to differences in voltage within the string, but intolerant to differences in current, and the parallel connected strings are tolerant to differences in current but intolerant to differences in voltage. In this configuration we get some but not all of the advantages and disadvantages of series and parallel connected arrays.

Untitled Diagram(8)(1)(2).png

Technically there is a fourth option Parallel-Series Combination, but I'm not sure its ever used with PV arrays (with one possible exception being panels with half cut cells). It's basically the opposite of Series-Parallel, panels are first connected in parallel and then groups of parallel connected panels are connected in series. We sometimes do this with battery cells, but its not common with PV arrays. Does this arrangement exist? What do you think the pros/cons of this arrangement would be?

https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/

Last edited:
It's a solar forum, you have to expect to be in the dark half the time.... ;) Nicely worded/visualized/explained... readers might also like:
As I read through this it occurs to me a newbie might gloss through it as they might not comprehend why anyone would need to understand it.
Perhaps something like:

Solar Arrays 101
An individual 300W solar panel might have a maximum output of 30V and 10 amps. A solar charge controller might have a minimum input of 300V and 40 amps and a maximum of 500V and 60 amps. In order for the solar array's output to electrically match the charge controllers input, the solar panels must be electrically connected in a specific way.
A solar array is a grouping of solar panels, and a solar panel is made up of individual solar cells usually connected in series. Panels can be arranged electrically in series, in parallel, or combination of series and parallel in order to achieve this. Regardless of how you arrange your panels, power output (Watts) will be the same, but current, voltage, and performance in specific conditions will differ.
Note: If you're using microinverters you don't need to worry about this because each solar panel has it's own controller.

After explaining how voltage/current work separately for series & parallel, you could move on to how to combine them to match the SCC.

Reactions: Dzl
also I get allot of questions out here from the subs saying - hey i have 7 100aH batteries and a 24 system (or something like that) -- how do you wire all the batteries up so i don't go over 24V ... (I honestly thought by now somewhere on the web there would be a calculator that you could put that in and a pretty drawing comes out)

I have learned of a potential misunderstanding in how I understand panel voltage to be affected in parallel connected arrays (at least when an MPPT controller is used).

I have asked the person who pointed it out to comment here and clarify.

As I understand it now the misunderstanding concerns this statement:
[with panels wired in parallel] If there is a difference in voltage, all panels will be reduced to the voltage of the lowest voltage panel.
From the sound of it, with an MPPT charge controller, the situation will be slightly more complicated, and voltage will not be reduced to
the voltage of the lowest panel, but it is probably pulled down towards the voltage of the lowest panel, but may fall somewhere in between, and may be slightly more complex than that. I think this point needs further clarifying (I'm not sure I understand it right), and a source to learn more on the topic would be beneficial.

Back