diy solar

diy solar

Backup battery storage vs. whole house Propane powered Generator

chuck taylor

A lot of people where I live spend $20,000 for a back up generator. We have frequent one to twelve hour outages and the frequency outages will probably get worse. Weather related outages last longer, and we could probably leave. So my question is what could I get to automatically switch to a battery back up that would run refrigerator freezer lights not Air Conditioning or electric heat. what could I get for around $10,000?

Check out this video. He has a second which he expands the system from 120v to 120/240 split phase.

watched it last night. Planned on watching it again. I need to catch up with the auto transfer switch. did he talk about that?

watched it last night. Planned on watching it again. I need to catch up with the auto transfer switch. did he talk about that?
The transfer switch is built in to inverter. It can switch between grid and battery based on your configuration.

They are having a whole house generator installed for $20K. You don’t need such a generator for small electrical needs.
Even if that price includes filling a 1000 gallon propane tank!

Whole-home standby generators (a Generac, for example) are installed to be a highly automated switchover power solution in a grid down scenario.

These are sized to run the whole house (all loads, so most likely a 24kw model), and usually by authorized dealers who do/coordinate everything for the customer. You get in bed with them for the life of the generator, and it's not a bad deal if your outages are generally small (a few hours, up to a half-day or so), and you live next door to the authorized dealer/service guy. These are tied in to natural gas or propane, so they can have extended run times, within their published guidelines for such run-times.

If you vary by even the slightest from their guidelines, there could be trouble ... takes careful reading of the manuals to stay within spec, and not have either the authorized dealer or the manufacturer get mad at you, and disallow repairs/warranties.

You'll see a good percentage of an affluent street in any given city that has such whole-home standby gen's sitting off to the side of the house. When an outage happens, they'll all fire up, and only their lights will be on compared to the rest of the street. A very few scenarios where even this solution might fail (natural gas supplier shuts down).

If you like the idea of a similar highly automated power solution based on solar components, you'll find it's a lot of work to get to that point, but it can be done. Lots of solar gear, lots of coordinated work, and an appropriate backup generator of some kind, and you can run some or all of your house off of a solar energy solution, for longer periods than a whole-home standby gen (which has some limits to run-times longer than 24 hours). It's just not as convenient as paying $20k or more to the generac folks via an authorized dealer.

Plenty of threads on this site if you want to go the alternate solar energy route to a whole-home standby gen.

Hope this helps ...

So my question is what could I get to automatically switch to a battery back up that would run refrigerator freezer lights not Air Conditioning or electric heat. what could I get for around $10,000?
Just for those few loads, it would be the simplest to use a larger power station (e.g. Ecoflow Delta, etc.) in UPS mode for well under $10K.

Just for those few loads, it would be the simplest to use a larger power station (e.g. Ecoflow Delta, etc.) in UPS mode for well under $10K.
Those have to be manually restarted if they run out of battery from what Will showed on his videos. Not a good unattended backup system.

Do you currently have a PV system at this location or is this thread only looking to cover emergency backup power only?

If you do not have a way to charge the batteries during prolonged grid down situations without a generator as it is I would not go into the battery route. For less money you can get a good propane generator for the loads you described.

Those have to be manually restarted if they run out of battery from what Will showed on his videos. Not a good unattended backup system.
OP's question doesn't specify that requirement but it's true that some power stations don't restart automatically after battery drain. However, it's not an issue if the battery capacity is sized properly for the longest expected outage duration. If the feature is required then OP can get a true UPS with appropriate battery and still stay within his $10K budget.

Back