diy solar

diy solar

Basic Layout for DC2DC with Solar using common ground- will it work?

jbnalley

SolarGen_number2.png

I am trying to understand safety on this setup.

1. Can I use a common ground?
2. will the On/Off Switch work to safely disconnect the battery.
3. If solar and Car are both connected using common ground will that cause me any issues? - Common ground was not encouraged or discouraged in the manual so it is unclear.
*Note - Fuses and breakers are all appropriate considering loads and manuals.
** Note - Wire awg is all approprite considering loads and manuals.

View attachment 170837

I am trying to understand safety on this setup.

1. Can I use a common ground?
2. will the On/Off Switch work to safely disconnect the battery.
3. If solar and Car are both connected using common ground will that cause me any issues? - Common ground was not encouraged or discouraged in the manual so it is unclear.
*Note - Fuses and breakers are all appropriate considering loads and manuals.
** Note - Wire awg is all approprite considering loads and manuals.

This is my other option, I was trying to avoid splicing the wires from the DC 2 DC and Solar wires to the anderson connectors.
SolarGen_number2--w-outlets.png

What I really want to do is have 1 switch to disconnect the battery from the charger so solar and dc 2 dc will be off allowing me to work on the system if solar or dc 2 cd is still connected to the charger.

Or can I use the multiple options to output switch to make it work safely?

1_or_2_to_output_OR_1_and_2_to_output.png

This seems like it will make it able to charge or make it so it charges and powers the outlet at the same time.
1. Option 1 selected will allow just the battery to run the outlets.
2. Option 2 selected will allow charging with no outlets
3. Option 1 +2 selected will allow charging while allowing outlets. (i.e. DC2 DC will charge while allowing outlets to work. OR it will allow Solar to charge while outlets work. *Note the DC2DC+MPPT will only allow one source at a time so if Solar is plugged in and the car is running it will select DC2DC only.)
4. I have a shore charger I want to add also, but I would connect it so the positive of the charger connects to the positive of the battery and the negative of the sore charger would connect to the common ground. This way if Shore is connected the DC2DC + MPPT is not.

Back