diy solar

diy solar

Basically a 24v power bank charging from ev power station.

Malachi09

Hello everyone!

I'm new to solar power systems and anything electronics. I've binged watched all of Wills videos countless times over the years so am somewhat familiar with what goes into these systems.

I am currently planning a van conversion and would like to add a 24v power system. I currently work in a secluded area that offers Ev car chargers that no one takes advantage of. This van conversion will end up being my daily driver/ almost primary residence in a year from now. So my question is this...

How do I wire my system to charge the 24v batteries from the EV car charger, permission to do so has been granted, without having solar panels installed yet. I'd like to build in the option to add solar panels in the future if needed but the main source of charging will be from public power/ EV chargers.

The reason for not adding the panels yet are unfortunately theft. The crime rate here in Hawaii for car break-ins are ridiculous and having $600 worth of panels sitting on my van is just asking for something bad to happen.

I concluded that having a shore power adapter with a "Dog Bone" to connect to the EV charger would work but converting that power to charge my batteries safely without shortening their life span is what I'm having a hard time with.

I've attached a picture with the input and output ratings for the EV charger.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20240428_131111.jpg
    20240428_131111.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 11
There's no easy way to do this. If there were, a commercial product would be available.

If this EV charge is simply a 240 Volt outlet at a house, could possibly get a "dogbone" to wire to a 240 VAC to 24 VDC converter. The converter would then charge the battery at 24 volts. For thought, plan not to charge your batteries at half, but preferably one fifth battery amp hour rating. That's two hours for the mare amps from empty; five hours for the lesser amps from empty.

I would not want to pull up to a ChargePoint or any commercial charger and try this.

Is that charger using a NEMA 14-50 plug or similar (meaning split phase 240v?

Not condoning, as this is some serious power and not for novices........

If so, Iota seems to be pretty popular for what you want. Just need to add the plugin for battery chemistry.

Thank you all!

So by "Dog Bone" I'm talking about a
J1772 to NEMA 14-50 Adapter, attached picture.

I could mount this adapter so that I could use the EV charger on the J1772 end and have the 14-50 NEMA socket end connected to that DLS inverter using a 14-50 NEMA power cord to charge the 24v batteries. Of course ensuring all circuit breakers and fuses are positioned and placed correctly to avoid mishaps.

Am I correct in understanding this?

Attachments

• j1772-to-14-50_grande.jpg
    j1772-to-14-50_grande.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1
I'm doing the same, I have a J1772 inlet, along with a signal box so the EV station will
turn on and power a Meanwell 240vac to 48vdc charger. Not a power supply but an actual charger.. dbu-3200-48 , using an adapter the charge curve can be customized.

I haven't got it all setup yet but very close

Using a regular 48v power supply will not
work , the battery will pull too many amps.

Back