diy solar

diy solar

batt. aH defined

BenD

first of all, Thank you Will, and i have read many posts on here so thanks to all, great knowledge base here. Will, your video's on youtube have broadened my mind in terms of solar, just a couple of things not so far well defined.
1; I have heard you say before something to the point of don't worry too much about amp hour ratings of manufactures (batteries) but the overall watt rating, volts x amps. But doesn't a 100aH batt. drain quicker, or have half the storage than a 200aH batt. at the same load drain even if the total watts are the same. I know, it is simple, I am a expert at overthinking things. The course of thinking here is price mostly, 950 BB at only 100aH, or diy LiFePO4 200aH, 24 volt, so 4 BB at 3,800 compared to 1,500 give or take depending where they come from.
2; I am having trouble reverse engineering the common concept of finding the total watts of what you want to run to decide the converter size. I would rather size the converter to the batt. bank so i know that I could power these items with bank, and the recharge would take this long for replenishment (this part I have lined out already)
3; why are some LiFePO4 batt. okay for series connection and others are not, is there a way to tell when it is not specified ( as it comes to diy batt. cells). IDK is it obvious or??
I know these basic Q's make it sound like I'm a simpleton, I do have a background with electricity Totally new to solar, intrigued, and sometimes it's the basics that get skimmed over.

Last edited:
AH vs WH:
The reason for my considering watt hours when sizing is it eliminates some of the math. A 12VDC WH is the same as a 120VAC WH.
A watt represents power.
So when sizing up your consumption in watts*hours (WH) you can judge your storage needs in WH as a direct comparison for a 12VDC, 24VDC, or a 48VDC battery. If you were to use AH you would need to factor in the battery voltage as well to accomplish the same comparison.
Watts/Volts=Amps
Watts/Amps=Volts
Amps*Volts=Watts
Sizing a solar array is a bit more complicated due to exposure & efficiency factors needing to be considered. Once you have chosen those factors combine them & just reduce the panel wattage by that factor to arrive at a workable WH # for sizing purposes.
So we are clear, I'm talking DIY conceptualization vs engineering precision, the principles are the same.

Thanks for the advice. I figured 70% efficiency of the panels. Running 6 total 200 watt panels, 3 in series 2 parallel, for 21.052 x 3 =63.156v and 9.5 x 2 = 19a a total of 1200 watts. 1200 x .7 efficiency = 840 watts.
The charge controller was based off max so 1200w / 24v= 50a controller. For a little head room I figured the victron 150v/60a tr.
I'm thinking a smaller BMS at 80 amp because it's only 40 bucks and I only have it in there for management and cutoff. With the inverter running off a victron 220 amp battery protect.
If this is all sounding familiar, yes it is almost cut n paste off of one of will's videos. The major stumbling block is ofcourse the battery. Leaning toward 8 3.2v 200ah cells for 24v 200ah battery. Just don't know about aliexpress. I know for the most part all battery is coming from China, even if assembled in the USA, it looks like customs and duty taxes are included in price.

Oh yeah 24v x 200ah= 4800w / 840 w expected w from panels is 6 hour recharge and not planning on complete DOD maybe 70/80%

At 80% of batt. 4800 x .8 = 3840/ 840 is around 4 1/2 hour recharge

@BebD I'd lower your efficiency factor to between 0.5 & 0.6 for the # of hours you are considering. With no clouds solar production follows a bell curve with its peak near noon for about an hour or two.
You could insert a wattmeter into the solar to battery wire and actually measure a weeks worth of solar production and then you would know a reasonable factor to use. Do that for each month & you would have reasonable seasonal numbers to use. I've got one on its way to do just that & will get another to audit my loads using a daily sampling process.

Back