diy solar

diy solar

Battery Advice for a Newbie

Mercracing

Hello everyone. My wife and I are having solar installed next month (after a lengthy fight to get what I want from the vendor). The system is as follows.

8.2 KW ground mount
20- 420 watt Sunpower panels
Sol-Ark 15K inverter - grid tied

The only battery option the installer will use is the Tesla Powerwall, which I don't want (performance/cost). I would like to have enough battery to make it through one evening with central A/C and the rest of the house functioning normally (with appropriate measures taken to conserve power). I have a Honda EU700is that Sol-Ark said could be connected to and operated by the 15K using a two wire start kit, so the option will be there to back up a small battery system. The house and shop building are on the natural gas well on the property so the only large electrical loads are the A/C's in the house and shop. I will put the information on those units below. I would appreciate any insight the forum could offer on reliable battery vendors, capacity needed, install locations, and if there are specific companies to avoid. At this time I have spoken to Fortress power and an installer that uses them as well as Bigbattery, and Homegrid. I am a little nervous about Homegrid because they are new and I can't find much information on them and Bigbattery seems to have some hit or miss reviews (though I like the finished looking products they offer versus the server rack battery look). I would prefer to find something that does not cost an arm and leg if possible. I know this is starting to ramble so I will put my questions below. The house is 2x6 built and a passive solar layout. I can provide the energy usage if it would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Recommended battery vendors?

Vendors to stay away from?

Battery life? Is it true the lithium iron battery can have a 15 plus year life (if it is charge/discharged at the correct rates)?

Inverter and battery BMS communications? Some batteries can communicate with the Sol-Ark, is this a greatly preferable feature?

Install location (I live in Kansas and the temps can range from -20* to 110*). Fortress told me if it was okay with my local codes it was safe to put the battery my finished basement rather than in an outdoor enclosure and figuring out a heat source. Is this really a safe practice?

Capacity?

Anyone have a portable type generator connected to a Sol-Ark?

DIY versus using a contractor? The county I live in said to be to code I would need to have an engineer stamp the plans (requiring the contractor). I have access to a very good electrician who has experience with solar and batteries so the "DIY" install would not be cobbled together. This question extends to the batteries themselves. If a product like a server rack batteries are used are you guys pulling permits or just doing it yourselves?

Heating and cooling info.

House system- American Standard Platinum 18 (new this spring)
5 ton with an inverter compressor- the data sheet shows max circuit ampacity 19.7 amps
variable speed air handler.
Heater, water heater, oven, and dryer are gas

Shop- does not have to be run in an emergency
Mitsubishi 15K minisplit
Mitsubishi 18K minisplit
Heater and water heater are gas

I would appreciate any insight the forum could offer on reliable battery vendors, capacity needed, install locations, and if there are specific companies to avoid.
I recently noticed that Sol-Ark has a pretty long list of recommended batteries on thier website. Are you checkin all of them out?

What part of KS are you in? I'm down near Joplin.

I recently noticed that Sol-Ark has a pretty long list of recommended batteries on thier website. Are you checkin all of them out?

What part of KS are you in? I'm down near Joplin.
We live near Paola. I have looked at Homegrid a little and Fortress Power. I have spent a little time around the Joplin area. We used to race down at MOKAN back in the day.

Back