diy solar

diy solar

Wiring Two Sets of Batteries

addision

I will be wiring up two sets of batteries in an open loop to two Sol-ark 12k's; a Fortress 18.5 and four EG4 Powerpro batteries all to a common busbar.

I have a few questions:

1. I had the Fortress wired previously with a 4/0 conductor. The EG4's use 2/0 conductors. Should I leave the Fortress with the 4/0, or should I downsize that to match the 2/0 of the EG4 batteries? Does it matter?
  2. Do I wire each of the EG4's separately to the busbar, or do I continue to wire them to the one main EG4 battery and then run one conductor to the busbar?
  3. If I wire each separately to the busbar (which I think is best), are each of the cable lengths from the battery to the busbar equal length? My longest run would be 12 ft.
  4. Do I place a fuse between the busbar and inverters, or the busbar and each of the batteries? Any recommendation on which fuse to use?

I will be wiring up two sets of batteries in an open loop to two Sol-ark 12k's; a Fortress 18.5 and four EG4 Powerpro batteries all to a common busbar.

I have a few questions:

1. I had the Fortress wired previously with a 4/0 conductor. The EG4's use 2/0 conductors. Should I leave the Fortress with the 4/0, or should I downsize that to match the 2/0 of the EG4 batteries? Does it matter?

Each battery needs the same resistance to the inverter. If one battery is connected to the common bus bar with thicker wires, current will not be shared equally.

1. Do I wire each of the EG4's separately to the busbar, or do I continue to wire them to the one main EG4 battery and then run one conductor to the busbar?

Each to the bus bar with same-length cables is best. The TOTAL pos+neg cables needs to be the same. You can vary the individual pos and neg cable lengths as needed as long as the total for each battery is the same.

1. If I wire each separately to the busbar (which I think is best), are each of the cable lengths from the battery to the busbar equal length? My longest run would be 12 ft.

Heh... I didn't read this question yet.

1. Do I place a fuse between the busbar and inverters, or the busbar and each of the batteries? Any recommendation on which fuse to use?

Each of the batteries is best.

1.25X conductor rating.

Each to the bus bar with same-length cables is best. The TOTAL pos+neg cables needs to be the same. You can vary the individual pos and neg cable lengths as needed as long as the total for each battery is the same.
So does this mean that if one battery is 12' from the busbar and one is 3' from the busbar I am good as long as I have a pos/neg of 12' and a pos/neg of 3' for the other battery?

Back