diy solar

diy solar

Battery Balancer by Victron

The victron may be better as it only works above a certain voltage. Pretty sure the one I linked works any time the voltages are different by X.
Hmmm. How would it be better if it only works to keep the balance above a certain voltage? Wouldn’t it be better to always have them in balance; not just when they’re approaching full?

Also, the Victron unit seems to work by bleeding off energy (as heat) from the battery with the higher voltage. I’m sure it’s a small amount but it seems wasteful. Compare that to the other unit that says it takes current from the battery with higher voltage, and sends it to the other battery.

I realize that any electronic component you add to the system is going to consume its own power, so maybe you’re thinking the ANGUI unit would be more wasteful because it’s working more often? I wonder how easy it would be to quantify the differences….

I like the idea of having the voltage meters on the ANGUI unit, and it says it’ll transfer up to 5 amps, as opposed to the Victron unit bleeding off 1 amp.

Hmmm. How would it be better if it only works to keep the balance above a certain voltage? Wouldn’t it be better to always have them in balance; not just when they’re approaching full?

No.

"Balance" is about state of charge, not voltage. SoC and voltage only start to correlate as the cells are full/near full. Even imbalanced batteries will show near identical voltages in the 3.1-3.4V/cell operating range.

Back