diy solar

diy solar

Battery Bank and charging from multiple sources

curto

Guys, I am in Australia and would like a little advice

1) We have 23.5KW of solar on our roof - this is feed into two Grid Interactive 3 phase Inverters - a Solis 25KW and a Solis 4G 5KW
2) We have deployed 40KW/H of battery - this is connected to 3 x GoodWe SBP5000 Single phase inverters (one on each phase) - each of the inverters has a 13.3KW/H battery attached to it - they are LIFeP04 battery packs at a nominal 48V
3) I have written a control system that allows me to monitor total house power usage using IOTAWATTs and Node Red - basically this monitors things such as total solar output, battery SOC, Estimated Solar Forecast, etc etc and schedules and controls discretionary loads in the house.

We deployed the 3 single phase inverters as we have an electricity provider in Australia that allows us to arbitrage the grid and push up to 30KW (10KW per phase) back into the grid - i am able to orchestrate the inverters to push back at 5KW per inverter when i get a signal from the electricity company that this will be price advantageous.

What i would like to look at for the next iteration is the following

1) I have a listeroid diesel generator that is setup to run on Waste Vegetable Oil that i can get in unlimited quantities for free (other than my time) - this has a PMG generator head that is capable of running continuously at 4.5KW
2) I would like to implement one of the hybrid inverters (suitable for Australia) such as the MPP solar or something equivalent
3) I would like to implement a BUS system where i would connect all 3 of the existing batteries to a common bus and have all 3 of their inverters also connected to the common bus
4) I would then connect the battery connection from the new Hybrid inverter into this same Battery bus
5) I would like to connect the output of the PMG generator head (which is 240VAC) into the AC input on the Hybrid inverter and enable it to run and charge the battery bank (the other inverters could be pulling load out of the battery bank at the same time to power the house loads etc

The idea behind this is that if i got a strong enough price signal to dump the batteries to the grid until they were empty then i would want a way to recharge them whilst still supplying the house power (as power prices could remain high) - obviously if it was during the day and solar was running then i would not be starting the generator - this is more for overnight instances (which peak hour is typically when we get these price signals)

Does anyone see any issues with this ? Or have suggestions for ways to improve it ?

Each battery would still be connected for control and reporting purposes to the closest GoodWe inverter

Craig

My first question was going to be. Why separate battery banks. But I see that you are addressing this.
Instead of adding extra AIO's, Why not just add battery charger/s. I believe that It would simply everything.
The new EG4 chargeverter is perfect for this.

My first question was going to be. Why separate battery banks. But I see that you are addressing this.
Instead of adding extra AIO's, Why not just add battery charger/s. I believe that It would simply everything.
The new EG4 chargeverter is perfect for this.
OK thanks for that - was not aware that there was an option out there - there is nothing listed on their site as to pricing - any idea of a ballpark amount for this ?

Craig

OK thanks for that - was not aware that there was an option out there - there is nothing listed on their site as to pricing - any idea of a ballpark amount for this ?

Craig

Back