diy solar

diy solar

Battery bank with different AH sizes and Bank Wiring

Foxwalk

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help. My situation is that I'm building a battery bank for my new solar system. I want my system to run on 24v. I have purchased six batteries in total - all of them are LifoPo4 Zooms/Redodo - all of the will be charged with a victron 150/60 charge controller. Four of them are 12v 200AH, two of them are 12v 100AH. My first question is - should I return the two smaller batteries? I bought them bc we didnt have enough money budgeted to by two additional 200Ah batts, so we bought two 100Ah. I realize now this isnt ideal. Any advice to move forward?

My second question is regarding wiring the bank. I understand I need to wire in a combination of parallel and series, however I am getting differing opinions on how to go about this. Here are pictures of a few options I am considering. Any advice is appreciated.

This is the arrangement the redodo manual suggests:
IMG_3493.JPG

This is what victron manual suggests:
IMG_3492.JPG

The circled section is what seems to be the most common way I can find on the internet to solve this issue, but others point out potential balancing issus:
IMG_3486.jpg

Victron wiring unlimited in my sig shows 4 different configs somewhere around page 17. The one you have circled is the most common and easy to accomplish.

Officially, all batteries should be the same brand, model, capacity and age, etc. In reality many folks successfully cobble together banks from batteries of different types/sizes.

Batteries in series MUST be the same capacity. You'll want the 2 100Ah in series together to make a 100Ah 24V battery. you can then place it in parallel with the 2S2P 200Ah 24V batteries. If you can return them and afford an upgrade within the next few months, 200Ah would be better.

It is important to verify that each string of batteries is operating within specification. You can confirm this by measuring the current through the string with a DC clamp ammeter during heavy charges and discharges.

I run different capacity batteries in parallel, works fine. You should be good.

If it's really bothering you, then return. Peace of mind is worth a lot ;)

If you do chose to do this then configure it like this:
IMG_3486.jpg

Also charge each battery individually to 100% before wiring this all up.

Thank you all for the replies. For peace of mind, I decided to return the two 100Ah batts and just go with the (4) 200Ah batteries and see if we need more, in which case I will just bite the bullet and buy two more 200Ah. Really appreciate y'all taking the time to respond.

Back