diy solar

diy solar

Battery box 24v/12v fuse block access?

Samtrois

I am building a 24v 200ah portable battery/inverter in-a-box. mostly to run off-grid / backup loads at home. and hopefully taking it in a small camper trailer to power me for a couple of days.

I have large cargo container that fits my battery and MPPSolar inverter, I can mount a circuit breaker and fuse to be accessible, but I am just wondering how accessible I need to make the 12/24v fuse blocks.
There is quite a lot of room in the box, but things will probably be harder to access once it is in the trailer.

While at home it will probably only be powering 24v fans to ventilate the box. But when travelling, a 24v fridge, 24v rice cooker, 24v water pump and assorted USB / lights etc.
Let's assume everything is fused and wired correctly. Should the fuse blocks be super easy to get to (like main fuse ,breaker or battery cutoff), or would a torch and some small pliers be more than enough for the rare times a 5-25a automotive blade fuse blows under normal use?

I am just looking for some general guidance here. If I can put them on the bottom of the box it will all be a lot neater, and I was planning on just making the wires long enough to be able to lift out entirely if I need to re-wire something.

I may have come to my own conclusion after writing this all, haha, but would love to hear some other opinions.
Cheers

Interesting it seems fuse as close as possible to battery takes priority over accessibility. Maybe the type of fuse you use will determine a lot.

Back