diy solar

diy solar

Battery cell arrangement/series

Jet

I am planning to build a 24v battery with 16 Grade-A Frey cells to make a 24V 200A battery (4.8 kWh). The cells will be put together in pairs to create "one cell" with busbars and then in a series (S8). Do the connections in a series need to be equal length? Can you use a cable to link some of the paired cells and bus bars with others as shown in attached images?

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Battery2.jpg
    Battery2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Battery3.jpg
    Battery3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 6
You are fine with either configuration. I would size the jumpers such that each could handle the full ampacity of the battery/BMS/fuse.

Reactions: Jet
There will be a subtle increase in resistance due to the longer length bus bar or the different materials. Increasing bus bar or interconnect size can reduce that. a good BMS can account for that. I have a similar issue with a 3P16S battery I am configuring. I hope by rearranging cells to keep almost all bus bars the same length.

Reactions: Jet
Would it be better to use extra long (and thicker/rated for twice the current) bus bars (image 3b) or cable (image 3)? Would the extra long bus bar setup put extra draw/load on cells marked as 4 and 5, 8 and 9, 12 and 13, and an uneven load to the the outside cells in those connections?

Attachments

• Battery3a.jpg
    Battery3a.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Battery3b.jpg
    Battery3b.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 4
Back