diy solar

diy solar

Battery for Sol-ark

I have a Sol-Ark 12k, and I'm also looking at server rack battery options which support communication with my inverter. I saw the Sol-Ark list of battery partners, but these were all very expensive options. Looking elsewhere, I saw that Jakiper does list communication with Sol-Ark, and Will's favorable review makes it a contender. Are there any other brands that have been confirmed to communicate?
SOK 48V Rack batteries have been advertised to work with Sol-Ark.
https://www.currentconnected.com/product-category/btry/48-volt-battery/
Dexter the owner is a forum member and friend of Will's.

I have a Sol-Ark 12k, and I'm also looking at server rack battery options which support communication with my inverter. I saw the Sol-Ark list of battery partners, but these were all very expensive options. Looking elsewhere, I saw that Jakiper does list communication with Sol-Ark, and Will's favorable review makes it a contender. Are there any other brands that have been confirmed to communicate?
seplos

Ok I can help on some feedback on the KiloVault HAB 7.5 as I have had two of them for a year now
I had the 1st version for about 5 months and its screen went blank so Alt- E replaced it underwarranty with the newer version and I bought another at that time as shipping was free with the warrenty one.They took the other one back via freight as they are 250#s each. They come with a stout bracket that secures them to the wall.
They have not yet (I have not checked recently) worked where the can bus is speacking to one another but they are working on it they said-so its coming up. I have those wires pulled just not connected yet. The Sol Arc is set up well to charge this battery (as many as you need-I have two)
The battery is well made-when the 1st one when dark they sent me the internal cables to tryt and fix it so I got to take it apart and not void the warranty. Of couse the cable did not fix the issue. They redesigned these battteries to have a better connection and off switch on battery. The screen is full info if needed. The hab app fought me last year at set up and I gave up but the sol arc app tells me enoiugh about the batteries so I'm happy. I could try that app again but have no reson to now.
I have the batteries about 6 feet from one another in a cool insulated outbuiling that stays cool.Next to Sol Arc..
The batteries run cool and never seem at all warm. Tey have been trouble free and I'm coing up on 360 cycles in May-they say at laest 11 years worth and more if they are cool . The Sol Arc only lets them discharge down to 30% so that also may give them more cycles in the long run

Last edited:
Have you deployed your HABs yet? I'm picking up a pair tomorrow when I drive down to the Alt-E store in Mass. They aren't the cheapest batteries in that class by any means, but I spoke at length with their techs/designers and was impressed with how well designed the units are. They use both passive and active balancing for one. I also really like how the cycle counter works, especially in regards to their warranty. It will add up all partial cycles to create singular cycles of 80%dod that are tallied. That, and for me, the Alt-E store is just 3 hours away (that's close proximity to a Mainer), and they will simply swap a unit out right there on site if one of mine ends up having issues. Been doing business there a long time and they honor their warranties and take care of their customers, so that factored in much the same way I chose my tractor and other power equipment...dealer proximity and rep counts for a lot.
The Habs will be married to a pair of Genetry Solar 6kw 240v inverters in parallel. These things are uniquely badass in the inverter market. I just couldn't justify a Solark, (or any other all-in-one for that matter) being 100% off grid (10 years now), with features I wouldn't use, obscene idle draws (plus the necessary auto transformer which eats more power), and I much prefer to keep my components separate, especially my CCs, as I heavily favour the Midnite classic line
AltE has taken great care of this OFF GRID Kentuckian too. I'll be back for more. Great customer service = Lifelong customers.

I built 9 DIY 280 batteries and one Trophy 220. 132kWh total. 3 days max dark cloudy days. Love it.

I just ordered another Kilovault hab 4verson battery 7.5 unit on sale and will pick up in Ukiah (west coast wharehouse) in next month
now its time for more cables from BatteryCables USA
This will be my 3rd Kilovault for a total of 22.5KW or since the Sol Arc limits its use to 30% that will be 15.75 KW available to us
This will put us over the top for batteries.

I just ordered another Kilovault hab 4verson battery 7.5 unit on sale and will pick up in Ukiah (west coast wharehouse) in next month
now its time for more cables from BatteryCables USA
This will be my 3rd Kilovault for a total of 22.5KW or since the Sol Arc limits its use to 30% that will be 15.75 KW available to us
This will put us over the top for batteries.
could you explain that 30% limitation? the limitation is programmed?

Back a few years ago when setting up the sol -arc they told me that 30% was as low as the Sol -Arc would let the lithium batteries go down to.
Since then there have been several software updates and I think this is no longer true. I have recently installed another 7.5 Hab battery and it got below the 30 %. I'm presently working thru getting all 3 batteries in sinc with one another (same voltages and outputs) No balkancer needed just letting them go thru a dalycycle as they equalize on their own (I'm working with the Alte E battery guy on the phone-tea support )When they are all the same or close I'll hook up the interbattery comunication once again to each battery. The less you drain down the battery the longer they will last (more cycles). Its a direct correlation . The 30% has been fine past 18 months and I plan on keeping that %-right now I'm switched to voltage not % on the readouts. trying to get all batteries at 56 volts on the daly solar charge. Been a rainy week here so its slow moving

Back