diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K sizing

DamnLucky

First Post so please bear with me - I’m sizing out my Sol-Ark 15K and the tech rep on the phone at Sol-Ark had an accent and was hard to understand so here I am. I’m sizing my system according to the calculator. I intent to take the PV to 19,500 watts. Let’s say a MPPT goes to 6501 watts…(again, I sized correctly)… What will happen? The calculator makes it look like I have a wattage “range” based on temperature. I simply want to ensure safety while maximizing my investment. (Insert Austin Powers “dangerously” quote here)

Second question…does the inverter handle battery charging or is there a second “battery charger” contained in the Sol-Ark? I ask because I’m wondering if anything useful will happen to the 4,500 extra watts of PV I’ll get at peak conditions or am I limited to 15,000 watts for grid and battery charging. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around an inverter pumping out different voltages (load and batt charging) at the same time.

Thanks in advance for not beating me up too much!

First Post so please bear with me - I’m sizing out my Sol-Ark 15K and the tech rep on the phone at Sol-Ark had an accent and was hard to understand so here I am. I’m sizing my system according to the calculator. I intent to take the PV to 19,500 watts. Let’s say a MPPT goes to 6501 watts…(again, I sized correctly)… What will happen? The calculator makes it look like I have a wattage “range” based on temperature. I simply want to ensure safety while maximizing my investment. (Insert Austin Powers “dangerously” quote here)

Second question…does the inverter handle battery charging or is there a second “battery charger” contained in the Sol-Ark? I ask because I’m wondering if anything useful will happen to the 4,500 extra watts of PV I’ll get at peak conditions or am I limited to 15,000 watts for grid and battery charging. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around an inverter pumping out different voltages (load and batt charging) at the same time.

Thanks in advance for not beating me up too much!

We run 2 15k in parallel.
The spec sheets are fairly clear.

Your MPPT channel does have a wattage range based on Temperature, sun intensity, angle of panels, clouds , birds , trees.
You won’t get max 100% of the time.

I’ve never seen any panels that can even obtain 19500 watts on those 3 channels.
I suppose there are some.

Even if you could produce 19500 watts on those 3 channels only 15000 is usable for charging or AC output.

I see oldphile has posted a block diagram of the internals.

Here is the spec sheet.

Last edited:
That diagram is awesome. Much thanks. My background is engineering but this is my first foray into solar. I’m assuming I won’t see over 6500 watts very much at all but with error factors it is theoretically possible. Just being extra cautious and didn’t leave my call with Sol-Ark with any confidence.

Batteries are next and will take any advice such as “If I could do it again I wish I would have done it this way…”

That diagram is awesome. Much thanks. My background is engineering but this is my first foray into solar. I’m assuming I won’t see over 6500 watts very much at all but with error factors it is theoretically possible. Just being extra cautious and didn’t leave my call with Sol-Ark with any confidence.

Batteries are next and will take any advice such as “If I could do it again I wish I would have done it this way…”
If you use the Sol-Ark panel Sizing tool you should have no problems.

Since your in Florida you probably just need to size for daily/ nightly usage with couple days for rain.

You could always build in Hurricane autonomy.
That’s when they get big.

You can DIY them much cheaper than buying them $/kWH.

That part is up to you.
Do you need certification for inspections?
Do you want to mess with building a battery?

If not plenty of battery makers around to fit your needs.

Last edited:
I’m in on a 9.75kW system for less than $14k all DIY. Feeling good on that investment but you ask valid questions I struggle with all the time.
A 15kWh DIY using Eve 304 ah cells and JK BMS should cost you about $2,000.

Just my 2 cents - I have been researching for about 6 months on all of this and I started out with some bad assumptions based on the literature from the various companies that install for you.

Once I started down DIY I figured the Sol-Ark 15 was the bomb and I also wanted microinverters on all panels to maximize output.

Now this far in I have changed directions and no longer really like any of the AIO boxes. They are good in many cases but you can get higher capacities with similar costs doing it other ways and still be UL listed. If UL listing is not a consideration because you are off-grid or other reasons then you can go with other cheaper equipment and get more bang for buck.

So far as I know there is no way to build a DIY battery and be UL listed which takes them off the table for me. I could be wrong.

Just my 2 cents - I have been researching for about 6 months on all of this and I started out with some bad assumptions based on the literature from the various companies that install for you.

Once I started down DIY I figured the Sol-Ark 15 was the bomb and I also wanted microinverters on all panels to maximize output.

Now this far in I have changed directions and no longer really like any of the AIO boxes. They are good in many cases but you can get higher capacities with similar costs doing it other ways and still be UL listed. If UL listing is not a consideration because you are off-grid or other reasons then you can go with other cheaper equipment and get more bang for buck.

So far as I know there is no way to build a DIY battery and be UL listed which takes them off the table for me. I could be wrong.
I went Sol-Ark because I could put it in place as I built my building. So awesome being “pre-setup” for solar. But valid points. I often wonder if I should have put in more effort to build a better system at a cheaper cost…

One reason to skip on the Sol-Ark is that it is a high frequency inverter. I have pretty much decided on the victron multiplus series or a midnight solar model. Do your research on the topic before deciding.

Also the mppt is aio inverters can limit your string voltages or amps. More research.

Last edited:
One reason to skip on the Sol-Ark is that it is a high frequency inverter. I have pretty much decided on the victron multiplus series or a midnight solar model. Do your research on the topic before deciding.

Also the mppt is aio inverters can limit your string voltages or amps. More research.
Whelp, considering I said I already have the Sol-Ark 15k your advice is a bit misplaced. That said, the Sol-Ark with Grid pass through has no issues with startup of anything I have.

Whelp, considering I said I already have the Sol-Ark 15k your advice is a bit misplaced. That said, the Sol-Ark with Grid pass through has no issues with startup of anything I have.
Ah, sorry, I thought you were still in the selection phase of things.

Back