diy solar

diy solar

Battery over voltage error

Sejac

I have a Renogy Rover 60A controller with a Giandel 2200W/4400W surge inverter hooked up to 4ea 12v 100Ah Lipo4 batteries in parallel with the same length of wire for + and – throughout the system, using a LNEX battery controller. Running 6ea 100W solar panels wired in series, the combined input voltage is lower than what Renogy controller can handle so I know that is not the problem. Been running fine for the past year, last week the wife and I were checking out different loads to check out how well the inverter could handle a 2000w loads and how well the surge worked. While doing this mind you not over taxing the inverter but the inverter shut down and the LNEX monitor was displaying all garbage. Turned everything off and reset the LNEX Monitor and the system seemed to work fine. The shunt for the monitor is the first thing off the connections from the batteries before the controller and the inverter. Now when I use the system to just charge just the batteries it works fine with input from the solar panels close to 600w but if I turn the inverter on so that it can charge the batteries and say run the fridge about 300w. After about 5 minutes the controller will show a BOV “battery over voltage error” and click and stop charging the batteries for a few minutes and then click and proceed to charge them again and keep repeating the process. This did not start until the wife and I did the tests on the inverter to see if it would indeed maintain a 2000w load and if it were capable of a higher surge. I am now at the point where I am not sure if the inverter is the problem or if one of the batteries is the problem. As I stated the shunt is in front of the controller and the inverter in its connection to the batteries which makes me wonder when it all went crazy that the garbled display that I had to reset would not have been caused by anything that the inverter did as it placement is in front of the inverter and controller. I am thinking about removing one battery at a time a trying the system to see if the error replicates minus a battery until I get to just one. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As I said the system works fine charging the batteries by themselves without the inverter, but once I turn the inverter on it is only about 5 minutes before the controller clicks the BOV fault and stop the solar panels from charging for a few minutes and than clicks back on and charges until another 5 minutes passes. Or do you think the inverter has gone bad?

If its that predictable, (every 5 min) monitor battery voltage with multimeter right at the inverter and see if the voltage does go too high. This fault should be easy to verify. If not, then its probably the inverter.

Are you sure you have 6 panels in series?? The max voc for the Rover is 140v. You dont want to bump into that limit. I wouldnt want to try anything over 120v . So is voc on your panels less than 20v?

Back