diy solar

diy solar

Battery Refactor

chilly2

Hello,

I'm sure others have done this so I'm looking for some design inspiration.

I have a 48v battery made up of 12v LiFePO4s in 4S configuration, with a balancer, smart shunt and 125A fuse. It's all very close to the wall, indeed the fuse and shunt are on the wall, while the batteries are not.

It works great but it's not a very elegant setup, and heaven forbid someone knock into it. I imagine putting them in some sort of box including the shunt and fuse so that only two wires out to the bus bars protrude, perhaps with some of those Anderson connectors for easy disconnect.

The whole setup lives a couple of feet from a mostly empty 42U server rack, so I did wonder if putting them on a shelf in there, especially as I have a 48v rackmount battery on the way. For now it'll just go on the floor beside them connected to the wall mounted bus bar.

As a picture tells a thousand words, I've attached some.

What would you do to make this setup better?

Attachments

• IMG_9170.jpg
    IMG_9170.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9169.jpg
    IMG_9169.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 11
Just a handful of zipties could make it better. Those balancer wires are like spaghetti. Find a way to mount the balancer so it isn't just hanging out.

Other than that, it doesn't look that bad to me.

You could stick the batteries on a set of shelves in the rack, I guess, if you want.

Just a handful of zipties could make it better. Those balancer wires are like spaghetti. Find a way to mount the balancer so it isn't just hanging out.

Thanks for the reply! :) Indeed those balance leads are a bit of a mess. I hadn't cleaned it up yet mainly because of this thought of re configuring it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back