diy solar

diy solar

Battery Storage

Oldschool

I am looking to purchase SOK batteries. However, I'll have to store the batteries outside, in Texas. I've been trying to figure out a reasonable battery storage solution to protect the batteries both from weather, but also insects, ants in particular, that doesn't cost thousands.

Better Built 2048-BB is a thought.

Anyone have any better recommendations?

I've got my home battery in the blue Lowe's version bolted down to the pad out in my backyard. It works well enough with isolation insulation and cooling. A metal box sitting outside in the 100+ California or Texas sun makes the box hot inside.

Mine aren't rack batteries, I'm not sure how well that form factor works in a job box

Last edited:
I am looking to purchase SOK batteries. However, I'll have to store the batteries outside, in Texas. I've been trying to figure out a reasonable battery storage solution to protect the batteries both from weather, but also insects, ants in particular, that doesn't cost thousands.

Better Built 2048-BB is a thought.

Anyone have any better recommendations?
build a proper battery shed.
these batteries shouldnt be outside, not charged in freezing temps

I've got my home battery in the blue Lowe's version bolted down to the pad out in my backyard. It works well enough with isolation insulation and cooling. A metal box sitting outside in the 100+ California or Texas sun makes the box hot inside.

Mine aren't rack batteries, I'm not sure how well that form factor works in a job box
Hey, thanks for the heads up on that! It's even bigger, more wiggle room, for about the same price.

Yea, the plan is actually to mount some solar panels directly over the box on that side of the house, which would shield it from direct sunlight, and direct rain. That being said, the sales rep said the batteries can take well over 120 degrees, and even if it did get too hot, it would shut off first. Cold seems to be the bigger issue. I was told the the batteries would likewise shut themselves off if they got too cold. I'd prefer to put these in the garage, but that's even more problematic. I'm more concerned about rain/humidity getting in the box, and even more concerned about ants getting in. Guess you have not had a problem with either?

I'm in a similar planning situation, wanting 5 plus rack batteries in Texas near Houston. Freezing Temps are rare but not unheard of. Cooling seems like the bigger concern. Aside from shading and waterproofing, I keep wondering if there's an obvious active cooling solution.

If I could find surplus telecom boxes, some of those appear to have racks with active cooling. But not really looking to spend the monetary equivalent of 5 to 10 kwh of storage just for the enclosure!

Cooling seems like the bigger concern. Aside from shading and waterproofing, I keep wondering if there's an obvious active cooling solution.
I ordered and am running a chiller from https://www.rigidhvac.com/
Over our 110-115f heat wave it would run from 60-120 twice per day. When it's over 100 out, it only cycles on once. Below 100f, it is unlikely to cycle on at all.
Mine runs off pack voltage (48vdc) and pulls 1-3 amps. I current have it set to run at about 1.7 amps. So my cooling cycles normally use about 100-130 Wh. Not much with ~30kWh of storage.

There was another thread about passive cooling by running you incoming air underground. I don't know if that would work for your situation.

I'm in a similar planning situation, wanting 5 plus rack batteries in Texas near Houston. Freezing Temps are rare but not unheard of. Cooling seems like the bigger concern. Aside from shading and waterproofing, I keep wondering if there's an obvious active cooling solution.

If I could find surplus telecom boxes, some of those appear to have racks with active cooling. But not really looking to spend the monetary equivalent of 5 to 10 kwh of storage just for the enclosure!
Exactly. Been trying to find surplus telecom boxes. There are none locally that are reasonable in price. But, if you find an extra drop me a line. : ) Actually, I've contacted a company in India that manufactures them. Their cost is very reasonable, but freight will be the dangerous part. They might bother shipping onsies if they think there may be more of a market from somewhere like this forum. Let you know if that works out.

According to SOK manufacturer, the batteries can take upwards of 150 degrees, and then they shut themselves off. Also, they said their batteries generate little heat. If so, fans would be of little benefit unless the boxes were directly in the sun. And, if in the sun you are dependent on that fan... If you open fan portal, you are more prone to some insects getting in when the fan isn't running. I'm more worried about the stupid ants getting in through cracks and humidity. I've had ants get into a printer placed on a printer stand in the middle of a good shed and ruin it.

I had forgotten about the job boxes... I'm in a shady spot, no direct sun. With a job box, I may just install that and monitor temps through the seasons...400bird's DC HVAC solution seems perfect if I want to baby the cells a bit. I will probably just assume the risk of freezing since I'm grid tied and I can always break out the generator plus an incandescent bulb if I am in a pinch and need them warm.

Oldschool, I will keep you posted but I'm about to give up on telco boxes... I'm thinking I'll just set the rack batts terminal-side-up in the job box then rig some bus bars and wiring out to my inverter. If there is an obvious source or photos of people doing this that I can borrow from, please share!

I ordered and am running a chiller from https://www.rigidhvac.com/
Over our 110-115f heat wave it would run from 60-120 twice per day. When it's over 100 out, it only cycles on once. Below 100f, it is unlikely to cycle on at all.
Mine runs off pack voltage (48vdc) and pulls 1-3 amps. I current have it set to run at about 1.7 amps. So my cooling cycles normally use about 100-130 Wh. Not much with ~30kWh of storage.

There was another thread about passive cooling by running you incoming air underground. I don't know if that would work for your situation.
Interesting idea to run underground, but probably wouldn't work for me. Thanks for the idea though.

I had forgotten about the job boxes... I'm in a shady spot, no direct sun. With a job box, I may just install that and monitor temps through the seasons...400bird's DC HVAC solution seems perfect if I want to baby the cells a bit. I will probably just assume the risk of freezing since I'm grid tied and I can always break out the generator plus an incandescent bulb if I am in a pinch and need them warm.

Oldschool, I will keep you posted but I'm about to give up on telco boxes... I'm thinking I'll just set the rack batts terminal-side-up in the job box then rig some bus bars and wiring out to my inverter. If there is an obvious source or photos of people doing this that I can borrow from, please share!
I didn't think about setting the racks on their back and running it lengthwise. hmmm. This has to pass city inspection where I am. Wonder what they'd think about that. I mean inside a tool box.

Great idea on the light bulb too. Think I may try to rig up a spot for one from the get go.

Great idea on the light bulb too. Think I may try to rig up a spot for one from the get go. Actually, this might be a better idea:

Aiicioo Under Tank Heater Thermostat - Reptile Heating Pad with Temperature Control Reptile Heat Mat for Combo Set for Hermit Crab Lizard Terrarium​

Interesting idea to run underground, but probably wouldn't work for me. Thanks for the idea though.
It wouldn't work for me either. Plus I'm trying to keep the box significantly cleaner than that would allow.

I didn't think about setting the racks on their back and running it lengthwise. hmmm. This has to pass city inspection where I am. Wonder what they'd think about that. I mean inside a tool box.
It doesn't directly apply, but my box passed CA inspection under NEC 2016.

The forum broke your link, but in a quick Amazon search, it looks like an AC heater. If you go with that's you'll need to run AC out to the battery house/box.

It wouldn't work for me either. Plus I'm trying to keep the box significantly cleaner than that would allow.

The forum broke your link, but in a quick Amazon search, it looks like an AC heater. If you go with that's you'll need to run AC out to the battery house/box.
Any chance you have any pictures of your setup?

Any chance you have any pictures of your setup?
My overall build thread for adding the Schneider XW and battery gets pretty long and very side tracked multiple times.

Here's a shot at the mostly assembled phase.

My overall build thread for adding the Schneider XW and battery gets pretty long and very side tracked multiple times.

Here's a shot at the mostly assembled phase.

Thanks for the pic. Very helpful!

Copy and paste description into Amazon. It isn't an AC heater. It is a heating pad for a terrarium for reptiles. Reptiles are cold blooded. This particular pad comes with a thermostat. This would be kind of akin to some of the batteries with built in heaters.

My thinking, in draft, was that this could be placed at the bottom of the box with at least 4-5 inches of space between it and the nearest battery. It would essentially act like a heater for the box that would come on when it gets too cold. However, after reading through the 1 star reviews, there were a couple instances of apparent malfunction where they became too hot, possibly a fire hazard...

Another idea (paste into Amazon): Sunbeam Heating Pad for Back, Neck, and Shoulder Pain Relief 12 x 15". The pads and blankets may not hold up well in the heat over time though.

So, I searched a little more and found, on Amazon, KETOTEK Digital Thermostat Outlet Plug Temperature Controller Outlet Socket 120V 15A. Essentially, it is like a Christmas light timer, but instead it is controlled by a thermostat. Theoretically, you could get 2 of these, 1 to control a fan (if that is what you want) when it gets too hot, and another to control an electric heating pad or light bulb to elevate the box temperature when it gets too cold. Starting to think an incadescent light bulb is the cleanest option. The 15A could power a couple 60W bulbs, I think, which is what is recommended for chicks. The thermostat could turn them off it gets too warm.

Anyone else done anything like this?

Back