diy solar

diy solar

Cybertruck backfeed vs. Powerwall (or other storage devices)

Brownteeth

Hello folks! I just finished construction on my high performance home (somewhat passive solar designed too) and wanted to wait to instal active solar until I figured out what my electricity draw is going to be. Well, Im getting good data as winter is my highest draw and starting the "planning" stages of my solar now. A few things:

1. My utility company will only give me $.02 to feed the grid from my panels (I pay .11$/KwH). So, the next logical option would be to store the power in batteries in a "net zero export" situation. Full off grid may be an option in the future.
2. I don't believe my situation applies to the Powerwall (that being net zero export or off grid) based on my research, so I have been looking at other storage and inverter options. Sol-Ark makes a net zero export inverter (to connect with batteries) that seems like a good option to pair with. Seems to me other storage/inverter options are cheaper than Powerwall anyways.
3. I was an early orderer of the Cybertruck and might get it sooner than I realize, and it has backfeed capabilities. It has a 123kw battery and can backfeed 240v up to 35amps (110a startup), (apparently).

This is truly all the info I have on the Cybertrucks feeding capabilities and would love to hear if anyone has more details or ideas. In my initial thinking, the "all in one" (I use that term loosely) storage devices usually have between 8-15kw storage, the Cybertruck has a 123kw battery and can "possibly" provide power to your home. Thats WAY bigger than any single storage device out there, and plus you can drive the thing. Kinda like the modern situation of a tractor connected to a PTO generator to power your home in emergencies. It'll power the home, and you can also use the tractor...

To the most experienced member: Yes, I realize Im interchanging terms and this probably reads very amateur-ish, which I am. Just trying to figure out a path to go down with the Cybertruck. I won't be getting it if it cannot serve as my storage and/or emergency power device.

thanks

35 amps might be a little light unless the inverter knows how to limit CT import and get the balance from the grid.
I am soon going with Powerwalls and no desire for the CT.

CT might be better to supplement an existing battery system otherwise need to mostly be at home to collect solar and need to stay home during an outage.

Can buy a lot of batteries for the price of a Cybertruck.
True, but like I said you can also use it to go from A to B and haul stuff. The vehicle has a few uses besides backup, but backup and/or storage is my main concern for purchasing.

35 amps might be a little light unless the inverter knows how to limit CT import and get the balance from the grid.
I am soon going with Powerwalls and no desire for the CT.
I can't go with powerwalls since it relies on grid tie. My utility company will only allow off grid or net zero export (basically). Also, my electricity rate doesn't vary based on time of day use. Possible to combine CT with external batteries to up the feed amperage? I can't discount the massive 123kw battery if it can in fact be used for the home. That could* be equivalent to 9-ish powerwalls of stored power, which is huge. These are the details Im missing that I was hoping someone might know.

I can't go with powerwalls since it relies on grid tie. My utility company will only allow off grid or net zero export (basically).
Above it was 2 cents feed in. Now it is zero export? And I understand powerwall can be cycled daily to support self consumption.

Above it was 2 cents feed in. Now it is zero export? And I understand powerwall can be cycled daily to support self consumption.
Yes it's $.02 to feed it back to the grid. Makes little sense to do so given the price and the other restrictions the utility company would like to place on the proposed system. Gotta store it instead.

Back