diy solar

diy solar

Tesla Cybertruck System

Haven't seen anybody ask the most important question: will you be charging during the day or at night.
I thought I had read day time.
If at night, forget it.
I mean, it's possible just stupid expensive.
The daytime components based on 100 miles/day average (~35kWh)
Is the truck that efficient? It doesn't exist yet, so anything we read is just some billionaire's hopes and dreams for it. I'd use 500 watts/mile just for al little more padding.
would be a minimum 5kW inverter (7-8 hour charge time), and I would guess about 10kW of PV (~25x 400W panels), just to support the car.
My math comes out different. Much higher larger.

Good clarification questions!

My average use: every other day or every few days, 100 to 200 mile round trip. I live in a remote area and have to drive a long ways to small towns. The Cybertruck would be a second vehicle and I would not be fully reliant on it.
Let's just average that and say you need to recover 150 miles per day?
150 miles at 500 watts per mile = 75 kWh

To get 75 kWh into the EV in the winter, I punched Phoenix into PV watts. It shows you'd need about a 22 kw array.
The problem is that their current "wall connector" maxes out at 11.5 kWh, so you'd need to store all the energy past what the car can take (22kw-11.5kw) for the hours the array is producing more than 22kW.
More math is required to get actual sizes.
12-15 kW inverter
22kw of solar charge controller
40+kWh battery bank
Smart EVSE, like an OpenEVSE or Emporia that can track solar output and adjust car charging.

Side question, you are already off grid, why make this a dedicated system? I'd just expand my current power system.

Last edited:
Side question, you are already off grid, why make this a dedicated system? I'd just expand my current power sysystem.
I plan on eventually making the Tesla system my main one after it is working & I have a better idea of how much I need just to charge the Cybertruck.

Charging the EV can be done at a variable rate to match solar output.

Can you point us to an EV charger that works with the solar charge controllers to accomplish this? Certainly there's no inexpensive system that does this right now, everything I've seen has batteries to fully utilize the solar and doesn't constantly change the EV charge parameters based on power input. I'm sure there are those who micromanage the system and change the EV charge parameters manually a few times a day, but they still rely on batteries.

Is there an EV charger solar setup that doesn't use batteries and works out of the box?

Can you point us to an EV charger that works with the solar charge controllers to accomplish this?
I guess I shouldn't have said for the OP to put a charge controller on their shopping list.

There are at least two EVSEs (that I listed above) that can charge from excess AC solar production.
I am using the OpenEVSE, others here are using the Emporia.
It wouldn't take much to get that working with a DC charge controller. But, it would take something work with a Raspberry Pi or Arduino or similar micro controller to get it working with a charge controller and inverter.
Certainly there's no inexpensive system that does this right now, everything I've seen has batteries to fully utilize the solar and doesn't constantly change the EV charge parameters based on power input.
He'll need batteries to smooth the clouds and give the EVSE/car time to react. There are at least the two listed above that can make continuous/active control of the charge power.
Is there an EV charger solar setup that doesn't use batteries and works out of the box?
Not that I've seen
Edit: not for off grid
If you're grid tied, the OpenEVSE or Emporia would work out of the box without storage.

Last edited:
Back