diy solar

diy solar

DYI LiFePO4 for 2021 Tesla Model 3

inigoml

Hi everybody.

This is my first post in this forum since I discovered it by following Chris several months ago. My question.

I have to replace my Tesla Model 3 12V battery (old lead model, not NMC) this year or next one, and I was thinking about a small DYI project in order to be replaced by a LiFePO4 model. I've read some reviews about Ohmmu battery but it's really expensive and there are some problems still present although can be solved.

My main concerns are:
- Cold behavior. I live in Spain, so climate is very similar to California (also Mediterranean), so, at least when not in the mountains, temperature does not drop below 0ºC (32º F). If I had to go to a colder place, I would take and old leaf battery just in case.
- Hot behavior. It's very common to reach up to 45ºC in summer ( 113ºF) I assume that LFP pack can deal it with. On the order side, Model 3 does not get hot because there is no internal combustion engine, so it should not be a big problem. My M3 is white, by the way, so should net get very hot inside.
- Security profile. LFP do not explode but....

So, questions:
- Has anybody tested something similar?
- Required Ah capacity? I assume around 30Ah should be enough (lead one is 40Ah)
- Max amps? I assume 50 amps should be enough (when car is on it takes around 300W).
- Is this a nonsense or does it worth?
- What about going to sodium instead of LFP?

Thank you!

The 0C wouldn't effect you that much as far as using power from the battery just pertaining to charging it back up. Also since it doesn't have to do high amp draws since its not starting anything I would think any of the cheap 12v lifepo4 batteries would do just fine.

Back