diy solar

diy solar

Tesla model 3 battery

eldite

Hi

I have access to a Tesla model 3, 60kWh battery, the Chinese lfp one.

Am thinking to pair it with a solax x1 hybrid inverter, which supports batteries up to 450v DC.

A couple of questions
1. Will the existing Tesla bmses balance the cells without being connected to the car at all? My research shows they have passive balancing.
2. With the leaf, I had to send can messages to activate the hv relay. Does anyone know how this works with a Tesla? Does it have a hv relay? I can rip out the master bms/management entirely but I'd rather keep it as one unit if possible.

Watched videos, read everything I can online.

Cheers

Hi,
I have the same pack in Australia. It is still in the car but I have bought a Solax X3 Hybrid 15kw inverter to install in the next month.

I initially plan on setting it up as a Lead Acid battery to charge like this gentleman, keeping the Max and Min voltage well away from the battery limits at first:-

I will also plan to sniff the CAN bus as described here so I can monitor/manage the battery with a microcontroller.

You may be more advanced in the project than I. How are you progressing? I will post my lessons but this will be slow going on my part.

All the best,

Christian

Back