diy solar

diy solar

Battery topped off or drained

mmm33732

With a LifePO4 battery, is the idea to allow it to pretty much drain it before allowing the solar charger/inverter to charge, or should it be topped off when there is sun/solar energy coming in and no load? I ask because I assumed they should always be topping off, but with my HV LV2424, it does not utilize the PV at all until the battery drops so low it reaches the float voltage. Per the battery manufacture, they stated to disable float or keep it under the full voltage. It's a 24v battery, so I put the float as low as it would go which was 24v. I'm thinking a setting is off. I have it set to charge to 28.5V. Float was at 24V and low battery cutoff is 23.5V. It will not use more than 30w of PV and raises the PV voltage a bit (so I assume it's in open circuit) until it hits the float setting. Then, it utilizes the full available PV wattage and normal voltage. I have it set to prioritize solar, then battery, then utility for loads. Solar is set to first, though it doesn't seem to use it for the loads or charging until the battery is super low. Ideas of what I have set wrong or a possible defect?

24v is too low for float. It should be more like 27 volts.
The idea was since the manufacture said they did not recommend a float, putting it as low as I could would essentially disable it.

Float is just the voltage you want to hold the battery at after it is charged. So, since the battery is fully charged to 28.5v and float is set at 24v the system will use the stored power in the battery until the battery gets back down to float voltage.

So what is recommended to hold the batter at for a 24v LifePO4? 27.2 since that's resting voltage for most, or more like 28.5 which I have as charging. Or something else?

Sure, try 27.2v and see if the system performs better. My batteries float at 27.0 volts, but I rarely hit float for more than 3 or 4 hours a week.

Back