diy solar

diy solar

Battery Wiring for 8 Trojan L16s to Create 12v Bank

Punatic

Aloha, I'm trying to restore power while also trying not to rush into anything. Hoping someone could help. I've got food thawing. I'm trying to connect 8 Trojan L16 Batteries to create 12v.

Background Details
I'm trying to upgrade my system as my former batteries dropped too low and caused my GoWise (1500/3000w) inverter to stop making power (fuses are good). So I found some used Trojan L16s batteries and put my old AIMS (1000w 12v) backup inverter back into service. The built in charger on the AIMS is no longer working. A PoWMr 60amp MPPT is charging the batteries with 4 (440w) panels. I first setup two independent 12v banks with 4 Trojans each and that worked. Now I'm trying to connect those two battery banks together. I got a spark while making the last connection. So I stopped to seek help as I understand I'm dealing with plenty of stored energy in these batteries.

Question
Can I wire the batteries as shown in the diagram? Is it okay to make the final connection even if it produces a spark when they touch?
1680639667347.png
Trojan L16RE-B Spec Sheet:
1680639094989.png

AIMS PICOJLF10W12V120VR Manual
1680638889311.png

PoWMr MPPT Charge Controller
1680638995791.png

Attachments

• batter-wiring-diagram-final-12v_sm.jpg
    batter-wiring-diagram-final-12v_sm.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 1680639436554.png
    1680639436554.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 3
THANK YOU!
I'll make that final connection.
The diagram looks fine. You'd be better off using a pos. and neg. set of buss bars.
I'll also order some busbars and I realize the setup right now will suck until a upgrade more components.

Any advice on which terminals to connect to charge controller? Midpoint?
Any advice on which terminals to connect to inverter? Same?

THANK YOU!
I'll make that final connection.

I'll also order some busbars and I realize the setup right now will suck until a upgrade more components.

Any advice on which terminals to connect to charge controller? Midpoint?
Any advice on which terminals to connect to inverter? Same?
Once you get buss bars you make all your connections there.
for now you can use opposite diagonal corners Both CC and inverters Neg. to the left, pos. to the right

Dang, still a bit too much spark for my comfort level.

So I reverted back to one set of 4 batteries in a 12v config. In the photo it's the 4 batteries on the left and they are connected to solar charge controller. I'd like to connect the 4 batteries on the right with the left side with less spark/heat.

Question
Is there perhaps a particular order I could connect the cables in series/parallels so it's not as sparky? Or maybe I should use a fuse disconnect switch?

1680646172863.png

I sincerely appreciate the help.

You appear to have one too many series cables between #4 and #5 Hard to tell from the photo but you seem to have 5 series cables You only need 4.
Thank you. So that might have been the issue. I did have an extra series cable between 4 and 5.
Does this mean that I ONLY need to connect the parallel cables in order to connect the two banks together?

For example; 1 positive parallel cable between 3 and 5 and 1 negative cable between 4 and 6?

I think we're both counting batteries 1-8 from left to right.

Yes, left to right, just like the diagram shows. Positive 1, 3, 5, and 7 Neg 2, 4, 6 and 8 Once you get your buss bar set up all those cables need to be the same length so measure to find your longest cable, then make all 8 that length. Some day when you go to a 24 or 48 volt system your battery cabling will be much simpler with fewer cables. With a 48 volt battery you would have 7 short series cables and the pos and neg output terminals.

Yes, left to right, just like the diagram shows. Positive 1, 3, 5, and 7 Neg 2, 4, 6 and 8 Once you get your buss bar set up all those cables need to be the same length so measure to find your longest cable, then make all 8 that length. Some day when you go to a 24 or 48 volt system your battery cabling will be much simpler with fewer cables. With a 48 volt battery you would have 7 short series cables and the pos and neg output terminals.
Thank you. Totally worked and I'll be stoked to get some fresh 24/48v components. The charge controller I mentioned earlier has been really flexible with my cheap upgrades. Many thanks for your help. And Mahalo Will for the forum!

Back