diy solar

diy solar

Beginner Q: 12V for 2000watt system?

Forumname

Hi all,
I am planning a solar system for a shed with the goal of running appliances that need 2000 watts. At first I was planning for 24 volts, but looking at Will´s website I noticed that he recommends a 12V 230ah battery as his „best value“ option (https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/lithium-batteries.html) with the comment:
  • „200A charge and discharge. This means you can run a 2,500W inverter, or charge with 2500W of solar, into a single battery!“
I am a bit hesitant using 12V with regards to the high currents, though, and given the fact that I usually hear the recommendation to use 24V for 2000 watts output. Any thoughts on this? I it fine to go with 12V here or 24V still preferred?

thanks for any help in advance!

You need to look at the startup draw of the equipment you plan to run depending on the load type it can run as high as 5 times the running load also when choosing a inverter the cheaper units will say 2000 watts continuously and 4000 surge you need to see how long that surge is most is less than a second unless you buy the higher end equipment

2000w at 12v is 166 Amps - do you really want to be dealing with currently like that? I'd be worried that the system might start a fire.

I won't spec a system for 12v if the user needs more than 1200w - 100A is managable.

After that, i'd go 48v unless the user has 24v DC gear they want to run (Ubiquiti has a lot of gear that runs on 24v passive POE)
And as @rodrick says, 2000w on some inverters means 1600w continuous with 2000w burst, while other mean 2000w continuous with 2400w burst, so make sure you look past the headline numbers.

diy solar

diy solar
Back