diy solar

diy solar

Beginner's Experience with 18650batterystore.com

riverbug

As a beginner myself, I thought I would post a review of my experience purchasing 8 EVE LF280K cells from 18650batterystore here in Beginner's Corner in case it helps another newbie trying to navigate this stuff. I researched for months about DIY lithium cells and how to build packs, etc. It's a deep rabbit hole. Once I had enough confidence to decide I wanted to try my hand at building the packs myself, I was very unsure about where to order from. I wasn't so confident in ordering on AliExpress or similar sites. It seemed like it would take forever to get the cells, if there was a problem I wasn't sure how much support I would get, and other various concerns. I was especially concerned with getting a refund and returning the cells should it come to that. I wanted to purchase from within the US (my home country), but I didn't find much for vendors. The day I was going to place my order I happened to come across a thread about 18650batterystore. Turns out they are based in the US. After researching further I decided to purchase from them. I have since also learned of Sun Fun Kits based in the US as well although I have not used them to date.

As mentioned, I ordered 8 EVE LF280K Grade A cells. They arrived well packaged within 6 days of placing the order (which was on a Friday evening). That was one month ago. Since then I have tested the capacity of each cell with satisfactory results; 284.9, 285.7, 285.8, 285.9, 286.4, 287.1, 287.2, and 287.2.

Before ordering, the advice on this forum seemed to be split on whether it was worth paying $50 per cell more for the Grade A vs the Grade B, but I chose to go with the Grade A's. The seller listed them as having a longer return period, longer warranty period, and higher cycle life. Some on this forum stated there is no difference between grade A and grade B because there are no actual grade A cells on the market. I also believe many sellers misuse the grading anyway. But in this case, the seller differentiates the two based on warranty and return periods and that indicates to me that they believe the difference in cells warrants the difference in price. Who knows?

Support...I did send an email to 18650 asking a question about the cells (specifically about the studs) and did not ever receive any response. I figured it out on my own so not an issue. However, if that is indicative of the support level they provide it could be a concern. That said, if I had a serious issue such a warranty related I would call them first rather than just email. But I haven't had the need so cannot provide much in the way of their ongoing support.

Overall, I liked that I could order from within the US. I liked that I received the cells within a week and in excellent condition. And I liked that the price was very competitive with what I found on AliExpress at the time. I will say that I have since placed a few orders through AliExpress and have had no issues there either. It just takes a bit longer for delivery.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there trying to figure this stuff out.

I recently ordered some LF280Ks as well. I had no luck getting any email/websupport response when asking for general info prior to buying.
However, when I tried the phone number, I was put through right away to someone who anwered all my questions.

When my cells arrived, the aluminum stud-holder bits on one of the cells was pitted and blackened (on both poles), as if something had briefly shorted it. The battery itself has the same voltage as the rest, so I don't know what state the rest of it is in.

I took a picture, uploaded to the website support bot. A few minutes later I got a response on the website from a human being, who passed the picture to person in charge of shipping for assessment (I think).

Next thing I know, I have an email with a FedEx tracking number. Seems they are sending me a replacement cell without any hassle or questions.

I should add that I ordered 16 cells, and they arrived in a crate (same as you see in the pictures on their website) that had simply had the remainder of the cells removed. Asides from the one cell with the aforementioned issue, they were all in immaculate condition. No hint of a dent, swelling, anything.

TL;DR:
Their email support is virtually nonexistent, but the product is top notch, shipping was reasonably fast, pricing was fair enough, replacing the bad cell was hassle free, and phone support was responsive.

edit:
I should add that I live in Canada. The shipping/duty to get these cells from the states was surprisingly reasonable.

As a beginner myself, I thought I would post a review of my experience purchasing 8 EVE LF280K cells from 18650batterystore here in Beginner's Corner in case it helps another newbie trying to navigate this stuff. I researched for months about DIY lithium cells and how to build packs, etc. It's a deep rabbit hole. Once I had enough confidence to decide I wanted to try my hand at building the packs myself, I was very unsure about where to order from. I wasn't so confident in ordering on AliExpress or similar sites. It seemed like it would take forever to get the cells, if there was a problem I wasn't sure how much support I would get, and other various concerns. I was especially concerned with getting a refund and returning the cells should it come to that. I wanted to purchase from within the US (my home country), but I didn't find much for vendors. The day I was going to place my order I happened to come across a thread about 18650batterystore. Turns out they are based in the US. After researching further I decided to purchase from them. I have since also learned of Sun Fun Kits based in the US as well although I have not used them to date.

As mentioned, I ordered 8 EVE LF280K Grade A cells. They arrived well packaged within 6 days of placing the order (which was on a Friday evening). That was one month ago. Since then I have tested the capacity of each cell with satisfactory results; 284.9, 285.7, 285.8, 285.9, 286.4, 287.1, 287.2, and 287.2.

Before ordering, the advice on this forum seemed to be split on whether it was worth paying $50 per cell more for the Grade A vs the Grade B, but I chose to go with the Grade A's. The seller listed them as having a longer return period, longer warranty period, and higher cycle life. Some on this forum stated there is no difference between grade A and grade B because there are no actual grade A cells on the market. I also believe many sellers misuse the grading anyway. But in this case, the seller differentiates the two based on warranty and return periods and that indicates to me that they believe the difference in cells warrants the difference in price. Who knows?

Support...I did send an email to 18650 asking a question about the cells (specifically about the studs) and did not ever receive any response. I figured it out on my own so not an issue. However, if that is indicative of the support level they provide it could be a concern. That said, if I had a serious issue such a warranty related I would call them first rather than just email. But I haven't had the need so cannot provide much in the way of their ongoing support.

Overall, I liked that I could order from within the US. I liked that I received the cells within a week and in excellent condition. And I liked that the price was very competitive with what I found on AliExpress at the time. I will say that I have since placed a few orders through AliExpress and have had no issues there either. It just takes a bit longer for delivery.

Hope this is helpful to someone out there trying to figure this stuff out.
Back when you could get Grade B for HALF the price of grade A, sure grade B probably a decent buy, remember a lot of bought grade B cells for just like $80 a pop and about 12.5/cell shipping.

But I saw recent prices for grade B, what a rip-off. $130 - $140 + shipping for grade B is CRAZY. I think Andy from offgridgarage is to blame, he raising the prices of grade B :LOL:

Back when you could get Grade B for HALF the price of grade A, sure grade B probably a decent buy, remember a lot of bought grade B cells for just like $80 a pop and about 12.5/cell shipping.

But I saw recent prices for grade B, what a rip-off. $130 - $140 + shipping for grade B is CRAZY. I think Andy from offgridgarage is to blame, he raising the prices of grade B :LOL:

Supply and demand. As the price of pre-built comes down and the price of DIY increases, at a certain point it no longer makes sense to build your own if your time and sanity are valuable enough. You can assemble an entire pre-built 30kwh system in less time than it takes to wire up, test, and tweak a single BMS.

Pre-built is not a sure bet, at least with diy you can weed out the wonky cells, not so with most pre-built welded ones. Also I would not trust the cheapo BMS units they use.

Grade B prices just need to come down, right now they are too high about 65%-70% the cost of grade B should be about 50%.

That is a good point. I'm relatively new to this so at the time I purchased my cells they were $150 for grade A and $99 (if I recall correctly) for grade B. I wasn't certain if it would be worth the extra $$ but since I only planned on 16 cells total I figured I'd splurge. Will be ordering the second batch of 8 soon.

Pre-built is not a sure bet, at least with diy you can weed out the wonky cells, not so with most pre-built welded ones. Also I would not trust the cheapo BMS units they use.

Grade B prices just need to come down, right now they are too high about 65%-70% the cost of grade B should be about 50%.

There is no shortage of BMS issues even with JK, JBD, and especially Daly. There will always be a die hard segment of the market who insists on DIY batteries. There is nothing wrong with this, and this market segment is growing rapidly. I just don't see prices coming down as this segment grows and the dollar continues its slide into toilet paper status.

For others, time/risk management are the most important factors. We've settled on pre-built 100ah 12v x 4 configs for our fleet of vans due to their water resistance, shock / vibration protection, and distributed / cheaper points of failure. Of the last 100+ 12v batteries we've deployed, not a single one has had an issue. If one eventually does crap out, we'll grab a spare off the shelf, swap it out in minutes, and recycle the failed battery. It's not worth our time to deal with a warranty claim on a $275 battery when we can redirect that time and effort toward running and growing the business.

Back