diy solar

diy solar

Best All-In-One, plug & play 1500W output system (besides Goal Zero)

Sadly, no.
It is JUST under the surge load needed. The reliable 3000 works well, and is cheaper, but doesn’t have the charge controller...

I haven’t done hands on testing yet but most info I found said 1500W continuous with surge up to 3000W should cover the majority of power tools. Most of them are 1500W or less with a few 1800W quick usage (e.g one cut from a table saw) that should be covered by the surge. So I figured that as long as I’m only running one at a time, the 1500W/3000W power station would be able to handle it. But it sounds like you’ve actually tried this out and found 2500W to 3500W continuous is needed, so that’s actually really useful to know. Were you running more than 1 power tool at a time?

All things considered, looks like I’ll be best off creating a DIY system to power everything. Doesn’t appear to be a plug & play power station that will cover all my needs yet. Maybe in a year or 2, but in the meantime it’s DIY, with a GZ 1400 as a backup (on sale / open box)
Never more than one tool with my 2400 watt inverter my rigid chop saw worked but I had to make sure I let it get truly up to speed before cutting. If I cut too fast it would overload the inverter

Never more than one tool with my 2400 watt inverter my rigid chop saw worked but I had to make sure I let it get truly up to speed before cutting. If I cut too fast it would overload the inverter
I have a samlex 1200watt inverter at home I will try the chop saw on just to see if a quality inverter can power it.

Well damn... but this is good to know before I spend my hard earned money, so I appreciate the feedback @Supervstech and @Craig

I’ll rearrange my DIY build plan so it can handle a heavier continuous load: 2500W min but 3000W to 5000W ideal. Thanks again.

Well damn... but this is good to know before I spend my hard earned money, so I appreciate the feedback @Supervstech and @Craig

I’ll rearrange my DIY build plan so it can handle a heavier continuous load: 2500W min but 3000W to 5000W ideal. Thanks again.

Keep posting. I like what you are thinking. I am thinking similar lines, except to keep the freezers running. Too much frozen to risk a loss.

Update on the original post topic...

The Ecoflow Delta 1300Wh is on sale right now for $1200 ($0.92 per Wh) and it has 1800W continuous output with 3300W surge. I know the longevity of the battery sucks, but all things considered, this seems like a pretty good Power Station option for a few years. I might just pick this one up.

Pros/Cons for the Ecoflow Delta 1300
  • Pros:
    • Excellent input - 60V solar. Can fully recharge in only 1-2 hours
    • Great output - up to 6 x 1800W AC wall outlets w/ 3300W surge
      • better than goal zero 1500W/3000W
    • Reasonable weight for the capacity: 30 lbs
  • Cons:
    • Can overheat easily and puts it out of commission for 1-2 hours
    • Loud fans
    • Terrible customer service
    • Very bad longevity on battery
      • Cycling once a day for 3 years drops to 60% capacity!

Before I got my current set up I was running my tools (chop saw, circ, air compressor, heat gun, angle grinder, 13" table top planer and a hydraulic wood splitter) on a Dewalt portable power station https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...ithium-Ion-Battery-Charger-DCB1800B/207164383

(1800 watts continuous and 3600 watts peak). It works amazing, and I still use it on the homestead even after getting my solar set up. It will run stuff that my honda eu2000i generator will sometimes trip over over like chop saw, planer and splitter It is only like 200 bucks if you get the tool only (I already had 4 20v batteries). The batteries are pricey so If you need to buy those it is not as good of a deal. You do need atleast 5ah ones. Buying these would make the price more like 600watts. It doesnt have a ton of capacity (200-300wh based on my testing) but that will run tools for a surprising amount of time, and the surge capacity is great.

I went with the Titan Solar Generator plus an extra stackable battery. 4,000 wh total battery capacity, continuous 3,000 watt pure sine wave inverter for about $4,394. The thing is a beast and in addition to using it at home, I plan to use it on the road in my RV this summer. Base unit is $2,999 which includes a 3,000 watt inverter, one 2,000 wh battery, an AC charger (500 W) and 2 MPPT solar controllers that are capable of handling 2x1000 watts. I also have 10x100 solar panels configured in a 5s 2p configuration. Additional batteries are $1,395 for 2000 wh and you can stack as many as you want under the base unit. You can separate the batteries from the main power module and each section is only about 35 lbs, so moving it around is relatively easy. Keep in mind that with one battery you should only use the inverter up to 1,500 watts, with a max charge from solar up to 1,000 watts. So far I have been very pleased with the Titan. I have powered loads up to 2,000 continuous watts with no problems whatsoever. Surge capability of the inverter is said to be 6000 watts with two or more batteries.

I went with the Titan Solar Generator plus an extra stackable battery. 4,000 wh total battery capacity, continuous 3,000 watt pure sine wave inverter for about $4,394. The thing is a beast and in addition to using it at home, I plan to use it on the road in my RV this summer. Base unit is $2,999 which includes a 3,000 watt inverter, one 2,000 wh battery, an AC charger (500 W) and 2 MPPT solar controllers that are capable of handling 2x1000 watts. I also have 10x100 solar panels configured in a 5s 2p configuration. Additional batteries are $1,395 for 2000 wh and you can stack as many as you want under the base unit. You can separate the batteries from the main power module and each section is only about 35 lbs, so moving it around is relatively easy. Keep in mind that with one battery you should only use the inverter up to 1,500 watts, with a max charge from solar up to 1,000 watts. So far I have been very pleased with the Titan. I have powered loads up to 2,000 continuous watts with no problems whatsoever. Surge capability of the inverter is said to be 6000 watts with two or more batteries.
Yes, these are great choices for standby power and a quick solar setup! Keep us posted on the loads you run, and your charge times etc!

Probably too late, but I'll post a suggestion regardless: assuming you might someday use battery powered yard tools, consider the EGO Nexus Power Station. Here's my quick story...I was skittish about buying any 'generator' with fixed batteries that were expensive to replace. GZ had come out with their Lithium, but still seemed costly. Got a deal on an EGO mower, and my world was kicked in the ass when I discovered it was better than gas. Added hedge shears, line trimmers, blowers, chainsaw...all perform great, easier, cleaner, less tiring (vibration) than their gas counterparts. SOLD! What's this? a generator? PSW? Easily hotswapped batteries when they get low? Only limit to power is how many batteries I have on hand or can recharge? SOLD! Timing was everything...PG&E shut us off for 4 days...was pure hell, EXCEPT I kept the fridge, router and computers/phones humming along thanks to the Power Station. Just had to go to work to charge the battery supply daily, and on the day I stayed home, took the EU2000 down to the park (wife won't let me run it at home and rattle the whole town-small valley) and used EGO's own fast chargers to recharge in about 40 minutes, enough to get me through the night and more. Bought another for work, because, well...PG&E. Have 5 7.5AH, 4 5 AH, and 4 2.5AH cells, most acquired from buying the yard tools. I mean..you gonna need yard tools...
edit: got mine off eBay, for about $750 a pop with 2 7.5AH batteries..just be patient and snipe.
edit 2, man I'm mouthy tonight: EGO was supposed to release a solar option for this unit, but it has been slow in coming (if at all), so if you want solar, you will need to find another way to time-shift those electrons and use the 110V EGO chargers, I used the Honda.

Last edited:
Here's a follow up on my EcoFlow Delta 1300 for any that are interested.

• Super fast recharge from grid (only 1 hour)
  • 1800W inverter handles almost all the kitchen appliances I could throw at it
    • Coffee machine, blender, toaster oven, 1200W microwave, etc. The Bluetti wouldn't be able to do this.
  • USB C works perfectly with my Macbook pro and keeps it topped up anywhere. And since it's DC it doesn't need the inverter to be on.
  • Well built, sturdy, and not too heavy
  • Less expensive than Goal Zero (but more expensive than Bluetti)
DISLIKES:
  • First off, the solar charging doesn't work. I may have gotten a defective unit and talking to customer support about it now. But very frustrating because that's a must have.
  • The EF Delta uses a solar input port that not many other power stations use: the XT60. My 120W portable solar panel has connectors that can literally connect to every other power station out there except the EF Delta. Eventually I found a few adapters that make it work, but then I found out the solar charging doesn't even work, so it's a moot point.
  • Efficiency is HORRIBLE! I'm testing what I pull from the Grid vs what the EF Delta shows as input and there's loss there. Then there's even more loss when converting that to output. And even more loss if you need to use the inverter. It's only about 60% efficient which is pretty damn terrible.
  • Fans are actually pretty loud. If you're using the inverter, they're on constantly and louder than you would expect. They're also loud and on blast when recharging from grid since it's pulling in so much power to speed charge. To be honest this is practically a dealbreaker, I'm looking for one thats more quiet.
  • Longevity is also terrible...after 3-5 years it will be down to about 60%. Probably due to the stress from the speed charge and heat.
  • No warning when it's about to run out of power and shut off. I had my PC plugged into this and it shut off with no warning while I was in the middle of work and corrupted some files. Pretty major design flaw.
So unfortunately I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse with this thing and may return it. Since the solar charging doesn't work I may have to anyways, and get a Goal Zero instead.

Last edited:
Goal Zero has a new line of products coming out and one that looks absolutely perfect for what I'm going for:
The Goal Zero Yeti 1500X
  • 1500Wh
  • 2000W inverter! (4000W surge)
  • USB C and QC outputs
  • Wifi and Goal Zero app
  • Battery saver function to stay between 15% and 85% and maximize battery life
  • Much better efficiency and longevity
  • More expensive (about $2k) but at the end of the day it seems like it's worth it
  • Release Date: ETA June 26, 2020

I believe the Bluetti ac200 is The best solar generator money can buy. They have the capability of being plugged in to a normal grid tied wall socket to charge the generator, or attached to a solar array, or lead acid battery, or even from a 12v car port! Definitely worth looking into...
Couldn't agree more!! As soon as the AC200 was announced (a little after my previous post), it made everything else look like garbage. I've been eagerly waiting for the Indiegogo launch, and just pre-ordered one.

If anyone else is following this thread and hasn't heard of the Bluetti AC200, it's the best power station (aka solar generator) on the market by far. Here's a link to their Indiegogo page, with estimated delivery Sept 30.

Couldn't agree more!! As soon as the AC200 was announced (a little after my previous post), it made everything else look like garbage. I've been eagerly waiting for the Indiegogo launch, and just pre-ordered one.

If anyone else is following this thread and hasn't heard of the Bluetti AC200, it's the best power station (aka solar generator) on the market by far. Here's a link to their Indiegogo page, with estimated delivery Sept 30.

From the reviews I've seen the AC200's efficiency is about the same as the EF Delta's (read as "just as bad") but the Bluetti's larger battery will make up for it somewhat. Did you wind up exchanging or returning your Delta?

Back