diy solar

diy solar

Best backer board

tonyg

Hello again!

I've been searching for the best backer board for solar equipment, such as inverters, MPPTs, bus bars, etc...
Victron manuals state to mount on non-flamable surfaces. This must be a sort of lawyer's text in there, right? ...

Nevertheless, what are people using? I was looking at fire retardant plywood, but is there a better option?

Gracias,
Tony

Cement board
Like Durock
Can be found at any hardware store.
It's normally used for a ceramic tile backer board.

Thank you my friend! :)
I'm in the UK, they seem to block access to that URL, but I'll seacb for Hardie backer locally here.

Thank you @crossy , that looks great, but looking at its description it says:
"...
Fire Retardant: No
Fire Rating: No
..."

I was wondering does anyone know what Nate (explorist life) uses in this video as a baker board?

Thank you @crossy , that looks great, but looking at its description it says:
"...
Fire Retardant: No
Fire Rating: No
..."

There are a few other similar products https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-AQUAPANEL®-Board---12-5mm-x-900mm-x-1-2m/p/207027

To be honest if it's rigid and cement based it's not going to burn. A "Fire Rating" would imply that it's suitable as an actual fire barrier for life safety purposes.

The stuff we use here (Shera) isn't actually fire-rated but I have some in the bottom of the barbie where it has hot charcoal sitting on it regularly, apart from some discolouration it's not been affected.

I'd take a wander over to your local DIY place / builder's merchant and see what they have on the shelves.

EDIT By the way, whilst you are there get a suitable blade for your power saw, trying to cut this type of board with a woodworking blade, even a carbide tipped one, is doomed to failure and a dead blade. I have a diamond blade in my tile cutter (it's like a baby power saw) most effective. Dust protection is vital, get your N95 COVID mask out and wear eye protection.

diy solar

diy solar
Back