diy solar

diy solar

Best enclosure for batteries outside

JWLV

-.-. --.-
Right now I have 22KWH of LiFePo4 batteries in my garage. I want to move them out to the backyard right behind the garage.

The main reason for this is I want my garage space back.

What type of enclosure is best for storing batteries outdoors? Obviously it needs to be rain/water proof.

I was thinking of building something with cinder blocks and put siding and a roof on it. Kind of like a tiny shed.

You have an existing garage structure, so options might be:

- 2' or 4' deep shed "box" that attaches to one of the walls
- standalone shed

Many types can be purchased from the big box home supply stores (deck storage boxes, gear sheds, etc.), sized to your battery layout, and should be capable of holding the battery "rack" system, with some room leftover for access, venting, and of course, insulation (for heat/cold). Just install a suitable "pad" to support the design you pick.

Or you can construct it out of materials ... conc foundation, block/insulated wall assembly, roof, doors, vents, etc. Good if you are DIY, or if you want to contract it out.

Add a bit of automation for temp monitoring, add heat in winter, or venting/cooling in summer, to meet the temp range specified for the batteries.

If the instant shed part is interesting, you can also look to the portable generator "shed" ideas, where they have all kinds of vids about enclosing the genny for noise, weather, and such. Many of the above needs are also accommodated by these genny sheds.

Hope this helps ...

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I might go with a small vertical shed. And then possibly reinforce it with some concrete blocks. These small sheds tend to blow away in strong wind unless it's anchored to something.

Back