diy solar

diy solar

Inverters and such outside (small shed)? Or garage?

I'm thrilled to share that I've recently acquired some solar panels and I'm eager to dive into the world of solar energy! As a complete newbie, I'm looking for some guidance on the best way to set up my solar panel system, particularly regarding topology and equipment placement.
For starters, I'm planning to lay my panels flat in the yard, propped up on cinder blocks with boards for support. Since I'm still experimenting, I'll be using a small inverter, nothing too fancy. However, I'm a bit uncertain about where to place the inverter. Would it be safer to keep it outside in an enclosure like a power shed, or could I bring it into the garage with proper backing like concrete board? I worry about Home insurance loopholes ...

Additionally, I'm in need of advice on temporarily running wires from the panels to the inverter. While I plan to install conduit for a permanent setup later on, I'm wondering if there's a temporary solution like using airtight enclosures for the wires. Also, does anyone know where I can find pre-clad wires around 10 or 8 gauge?
Any insights or tips from those with experience would be greatly appreciated as I embark on this solar journey. Can't wait to hear your suggestions!

No one can decide for you garage vs shed. With cheap equipment, I would say shed.

PV Wire is rated for outdoor use and sun exposure. Temco is a decent brand for it.

Back