diy solar

diy solar

New to solar panels and such..need help

emendoz1

Hello, I am new to the\e solar world but managed to get one solar panel working with a 12/24v regulator and inverter to work well with a one bulb lamp for my shed. The problem I'm having is today I purchased 2 used Renogy 100w panels and can't get them to work with my regulator. I tested the panels with my multimeter and they both are producing power close to the max but when I connect them individually or together to the regulator there is no evidence of power, only the 12.4 off connected battery. Is there a trick to testing the panels or have I done so correctly and just bought faulty panels?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Welcome to the DIY Solar Forum @emendoz1
It would be good to know more about your Solar Charge Controller ("regulator") brand and model number.
Things to check - did you connect the two panels together in series or parallel - do the voltages add or remain the same with two panels connected?
Did you confirm the polarity - the solar panels will produce DC pos on one cable and neg on the other, if you connect them backwards by mistake to the solar charge controller you will not produce any power from them.
The following sentence made me wonder if you now have three solar panels total or just two, and if three are they all the same type and wattage?
I am new to the\e solar world but managed to get one solar panel working with a 12/24v regulator and inverter to work well with a one bulb lamp for my shed. The problem I'm having is today I purchased 2 used Renogy 100w panels and can't get them to work with my regulator.
If you can confirm and post a picture of the specs from the back of the panels, may help us to know the problem.

Hi, thanks for the information. I should have made it clearer in my post but I started with 1 panel connected correctly to the charger controller and inverter which I've had working for a few days now successfully. I use it to light my shed at night, just one lamp with a low watt light bulb. This lasts almost 14 hours with very little power from my battery. This morning I picked up a few used Renogy solar panels which I'll include the sticker on the back so you can see specs. I first tested one panel by inserting my multi meter probes red to red and black to black to the rear of the panel connectors. I got about 19 to 20v a change, can't remember right now but although the sun was out I had some branches in the way. Then I connected that same panel to the charger controller which I had previously connected to my original solar panel which I removed first. I had no power showing at this point. Next I tried the other Renogy panel which tested the same way as the first one and still no power. Once I got frustrated I reconnected my original solar panel which is a RICH Solar 100w and it works as before. I will include images of the Renogy sticker on the back and charger controller. Let me know what you think. I did try to connect both Renogy panels together but that didn't work either although when I stuck the probes inside both together I got about 40v so I'm guessing it doubled the voltage.

ThanksScreen Shot 2024-03-15 at 9.12.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-15 at 9.12.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-15 at 9.12.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-15 at 9.22.48 PM.png

The Rich solar panel works,
each of the Renogy do not work one at a time, and still do not work if in series. Sounds like the Renogy are no-go,
I am no expert on how the diodes work in the solar panels, but have seen a few vids where repair of diodes allowed a faulty PV panel to work again.
Not sure what else could be the problem.
I have a solar panel tester - Elejoy 800W solar panel multi meter, and can confirm that a PV panel may produce voltage but little or no current. So voltage alone does not mean a panel is working correctly. The other test you may be able to do, without a Elejoy meter, is connect the PV cables directly to a 12v automotive high amperage bulb like a headlight bulb, see if you get anything. This would at least remove the charge controller from the equation and tell you if you can generate any amperage from each of the Renogy panels.
Hope this helps, maybe another member that knows more about the diodes will chime in and offer more information on how those can be checked or repaired.

each of the Renogy do not work one at a time, and still do not work if in series. Sounds like the Renogy are no-go,
I am no expert on how the diodes work in the solar panels, but have seen a few vids where repair of diodes allowed a faulty PV panel to work again.
I have a solar panel tester - Elejoy 800W solar panel multi meter, and can confirm that a PV panel may produce voltage but little or no current. So voltage alone does not mean a panel is working correctly. The other test you may be able to do, without a Elejoy meter, is connect the PV cables directly to a 12v automotive high amperage bulb like a headlight bulb, see if you get anything. This would at least remove the charge controller from the equation and tell you if you can generate any amperage from each of the Renogy panels.
Hope this helps, maybe another member that knows more about the diodes will chime in and offer more information on how those can be checked or repaired.
Thanks, I appreciate your information. As I said I'm very new to this technology and am still learning how each part works. I will test each panel with a light as you suggested. I also thought about the diodes and found them to be easy to replace and cheap to buy.

Thanks again.

I have heard reports of renogy panels that break the solder on the wire at the panel. Some folks on here were able to re-solder the connection. Worth checking on yours before throwing away. Id open up the plastic cover where the wire attaches and check.

I ent ahead and tested first the Rich Solar panel which I know works and then one of the Renogy panels and I got similar results. I even connected the wires directly on each panel and tested the output on the ends that typically go into the charger controller and although it is hazy this morning there is some light. I got similar output on both the Rich and the Renogy. I am including the images of the two multimeters I used.

I am now assuming there is something wrong with the charger controller. By the way the controller is fully automatic and determines 12 or 24v but maybe that part isn't so automatic.

Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 9.33.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-16 at 9.33.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-16 at 9.33.36 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-16 at 9.33.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-03-16 at 9.40.10 AM.png

I have heard reports of renogy panels that break the solder on the wire at the panel. Some folks on here were able to re-solder the connection. Worth checking on yours before throwing away. Id open up the plastic cover where the wire attaches and check.
I thought about that too and checked before and after the diodes and got same results as with the working RICH panel. I updated the post just now with images of both the RICH and Renogy panels and they are almost identical. I'm guessing now it's the charger controller.

Well I think I found the problem....maybe created another. I got the bright Idea to connect the wires from the Renogy panel directly onto the battery and found out what those diodes are meant't to do. I blew one up! I heard the pop and smelled the burnt plastic right away. I guess I won't be doing that again without a charge controller.Screen Shot 2024-03-16 at 10.04.54 AM.png

Back