diy solar

diy solar

Best inverter for home

chefjef30

I have a small house and use anywhere from 20-75 amps of power. Is growatt a good inverter for whole home? They have some of the best prices out there especially on ebay but is it worth saving a few bucks or will it cost me more in the long run?

"Best" depends on what you are trying to do, but the Sol-Ark 15k strikes me as one of the best units you can buy just based on reviews, comments and videos from installers. There may be other top-tier brands that can compete, but Sol-Ark has a very good reputation for their products and support.

Last edited:
I have a small house and use anywhere from 20-75 amps of power. Is growatt a good inverter for whole home? They have some of the best prices out there especially on ebay but is it worth saving a few bucks or will it cost me more in the long run?
You'll need to clarify the 20-75amps comment. To show you why - here's wattage requirements for 120v vs 240v at the amps you list.
20a * 120v = 2,400w
20a * 240v = 4,800w
75a * 120v = 9,000w
75a * 240v = 18,000w

You can see there's quite a range. Perhaps you're saying you have a 100a main panel at your home? and you can sometimes run up to 75a? and this includes 240v appliances such as cooktop or AC?

Last edited:
"Best" depends on what you are trying to do, but the Sol-Ark 15k strikes me as one of the best units you can buy just based on reviews, comments and videos from installers. There may be other top-tier brands that can compete, but Sol-Ark has a very good reputation for their products and support.
Best meaning longevity and quality of unit, cheap China crap or good quality. Using it for the whole house using not more then 75 amps of power and around 20-30 when nothing much is running. I have owned cheap and expensive inverters got good and bad from both so its good to know what other people that have been doing this longer than me are using so I can hopefully not have to change inverters every 5-7 years.

Best meaning longevity and quality of unit, cheap China crap or good quality. Using it for the whole house using not more then 75 amps of power and around 20-30 when nothing much is running. I have owned cheap and expensive inverters got good and bad from both so its good to know what other people that have been doing this longer than me are using so I can hopefully not have to change inverters every 5-7 years.
Will goes over the features here:

If you value dependability, unmatched surge capabilities and a proven track record of 20+ years, there's only one choice. Schneider. My XW pro 6848 has given me zero issues in 3 years.

Other good options are Solark and SMA.

That is what I need. Anyone else have an opinion? Yes I have read that schnieder inverters are really nice pricey but nice.

If and when you pursue this, stay away from ebay or Ali and go with a more reputable vendor if at all possible.
I bought a signeer 48v 6000 watt last year off ebay it is still doing good so far I have learned buying solar stuff on eBay since.

30A is like 7Kw... something big must be running :unsure:
Yeah I have small draw from the fridge, propane heater and whatever small electronics that are on at night. During the day when using TV, washer and other things I don't draw more then 100 amps. I try to keep it around 75 amps or lower depending on what I need to use. I am using a 48v. 6000 watt 240v. Split phase Inverter hooked to my house power for almost 2 years and have never had a problem. I just know what I can and can't use at certain times of the day. In other words I try not to push it to hard.

You'll need to clarify the 20-75amps comment. To show you why - here's wattage requirements for 120v vs 240v at the amps you list.
20a * 120v = 2,400w
20a * 240v = 4,800w
75a * 120v = 9,000w
75a * 240v = 18,000w

You can see there's quite a range. Perhaps you're saying you have a 100a main panel at your home? and you can sometimes run up to 75a? and this includes 240v appliances such as cooktop or AC?
Yes exactly!

You realize that's only 30a on each leg, right? 100a is a LOT more juice.

Or do you mean 100a from the battery bank? That's a whole different thing.
200ah. 4-12v lifepo4 with a back up of 4-18650 12v 100ah batteries. Running into a panel with 2-125v breakers to isolate the banks

Back