diy solar

diy solar

Best practice for safety of solar connectors and extension cable prior to connection to battery and rest of system

crowlsyung

I just installed 400W of solar on the roof of my 2022 AWD high roof Ford Transit. I attached the 4 100W rich solar panels to the cross bars of the FVC roof rack. I'm really happy with the installation overall - especially considering my anxiety around the fitment besides the 2 MaxxAir fans on the roof.

My question is, what should I do with the solar connector (MC4) cables and solar extension cable that I've run through a roof entry gland in for the next month or so before I get the charge controller, batteries and the rest of the electrical system ordered and installed?

For now, I've attached the two front panels in series and the two rear panels in series. I've stowed the unconnected (2 positive and 2 negative) solar cables beneath the panels. I've also stowed the unconnected male and female ends of the 10 gauge solar extension cables on the roof-side of the entry gland underneath the panels. The rest of the solar extension cable wire is cable tied to the inside of the van - this cable isn't connected to any live wires.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow and I'm worried that the disconnected solar cables could be damaged in the elements. I could add fuses to the panels, connect them in the final 2S2P 400 watt array and wire them to the solar extension cables, but then I'd have live voltage wire hanging inside the van for the next month or so until I install the rest of the electrical system - this also doesn't seem ideal.

Any suggestions you have on the best practices to protect the solar array and van before hooking up the wires to a charge controller and battery would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

I would have the outside cables safely clicked to the extension cables - waterproof connections outside.

Now inside the Van tape them up nicely, I would add some plastic- like a ziplock bag to each cable, then cover In enough electrical tape that nonthing can happen - then coil the wire and hang it out of the way.

Back