diy solar

diy solar

Best way to arrange & protect pv array 26panels multiple runs

73powerstroke

Solar Enthusiast
My science experiment has somewhat gotten out of hand they're just kind of added more and more and now I'm trying to make sure that it can be left unattended. Ive used several branch adapters from santan solar and Amazon. Most at 4 to 1 some are 2 to 1.
All my pv wire is 10ga santan stuff.
Im pretty sure ive got too much current riding on on run. The sloppy mc4 connectors get warm at the inverter.
I bought some 63a dc circuit breakers from santan and a 150a surface mount for the batteries.
Ive seen all the pv combiner boxes on Amazon that boast a 15a fuse for each input and a lightening protector and all combine to a 63a circuit breaker neatly tucked in a box. Looks cool but i dont think itll work. Im pretty sure im 20 amps on a few runs. Everything is 2 series.
Its hard to explain how i have it all.
All panels are 240w santan trinas except 6 other ones.
To start on the first group of 4 facing west. They are 2s2p they then combine with 6 more that are 2s3p that should be about 60v usually at 16a on the 4 plus 24a on the 6 for a total of 40a. To make matters worse theres and additional 4 panels 2s2p on its own run coming in and combining and running 25 more feet of 10ga pv to inverter. So 40a + 16a =56a riding on 10ga pv wire. Is this bad? Im guessing i will need to separate them and each run the final 25 separate?
I have in another spot 6 more 2s3p and they have their own independent run to inverter. The final 6 2s3p are all on their own to a different inverter altogether.

It seems like these fancy combined boxes are meant to take the place of Y branches and would have to be somewhere out in the field area rather than in the room with the inverter what I was hoping to do was minimize having a whole bunch of 25 to 50 ft runs of wire I can't remember without looking it up but I'm pretty sure that 10 gauge PV wire is only good for about 30 amps anyway I don't know if I need to buy more of these 63 amp circuit breakers or not I was just basically going to put a double pole set on the input of the inverter for one group and then another one for the other.
The inverter is a hvlv2424 so its a 80a cc
Im over paneling but they all face different directions to catch the sun.

I knew i had some problems. Ive experienced issues with certain mc4 connectors.
Yesterday i found a poorly crimped one that failed and ruined a branch connector as well.
Part of the issue is too much plug and play paralleling strings.
So ive decided that all my 2s strings must be less than 2s3p and have their own 10ga pv run. Theres 14 panels in the backyard so ill have to divide it all up .
Ill have to order more pv wire on Amazon.
I found a deal yesterday for 30 feet for a pair or red & black for $31
Should be here today. Ill probably order another now also. Im going to be pretty close to 60 amps with everything so i cant see using a combiner box and trying to use 10ga on everything. Once combined ill be over current on the wire
So i have to figure out how to combine and get it to the inverter.

Back