diy solar

diy solar

Bifacial panel recommendations

MarkSolar

Solar Enthusiast
I'm expanding the 10kW system I have, I want to orient the panels vertically in front of a barn wall that I'll paint white, so bifacial panels seem like a good choice. They will use a different inverter than my existing system so no compatibility needed. Physical dimensions need to be no greater than about 45" x 90", and I'd like them to be at least 400W. The panels I have are ground mounted QCell Duo, but I bought them 3 years ago and haven't paid attention to the market so don't really know what's available. I'm buying new, not used, and don't need to be on the bleeding edge of technology, just want a solid performer. Any recommendations welcome. tnx

I have the 545w version of these and so far really like them. They've been operational for about a month. I bought 8 of them on FB Marketplace, scratch and dent. Eight are a theoretical 4.36kW maximum, but just a few days ago I hit 4.8kW. They are on an EG4 Brightmount with the 5" extension.

Thanks, looks like a good option, didn't think I'd get that much power in a panel that size. Hadn't heard of that brand but they have good online reviews.

I like the 545W output, I only have so much space to mount these. They're about $250 each, less than I would have thought. I live right by a CEDGreentech, I'll have to see if they carry those.

If you want to support a company working to make 100% of the solar panel within USA/North America and is not associated with China I would purchase more QCells. They have several Bifacial options.
Interesting, I remember joking when I got my panels that the box said designed in Austria (or Germany?), manufactured in China, and assembled in some other country (Korea?). Looks like the Georgia plant was built after I got my panels. I've been happy with my panels, wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

If you don’t mind buying them from overseas, with shipping you are looking at around $.20-22/W (depending on how many you order)

If you don’t mind buying them from overseas, with shipping you are looking at around $.20-22/W (depending on how many you order)
Thanks, I'll willing to pay extra for local support. When I installed the system I have there was a problem with one item. They had a truck out to me the same day with a replacement part. I'm also close enough to get free delivery on everything.

Thanks, I'll willing to pay extra for local support. When I installed the system I have there was a problem with one item. They had a truck out to me the same day with a replacement part. I'm also close enough to get free delivery on everything.
Yeah, I see your point. Solar panels are failing all the time. Though some people do order enough to have spares when they are so cheap to begin with…

My QCells were designed in Germany and made in Korea. But yes, they do have USA factories now too.
Yes, they are still working to make all of them fully within the USA/NA but they are not there yet.. but still way ahead of any other "manufacturer". I only say this because I've seen some companies state their panels are "made in USA" when they are in fact not. There are certain requirements necessary to use that label but many use that label even without meeting them because they are not enforced unless there are complaints filed against them to the FTC.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the 380 watt panels from Solar4America. I bought them as secondhand units, rescued from the discard pile of a Testing Lab. Apparently these units had been aged 25 years( simulated) So I got them for a really good deal. I have seen these units put out as much as 496 Watts Peak. They are very big and very heavy.

Those seem to be out of stock. But the Hyperion 400w are in stock and just a few cents more at $0.30/watt.
My first order was ten of the 300W Hyundai at 28 cents. Put those on two 150/35s. Ideally I'd have another two 300W but who knows if they or the 305s will ever be back.

So now I have a 450/100 on the way and it looks like the Hyperion are still a solid bang for buck, I'll prob wait till they bring back a free shipping promo, thinking 10 in a string on one of the trackers and then 10 as budget allows later on the 2nd tracker. Would be fairly over paneled at 8kW on a 5.76kW SCC but better utilization during non optimum conditions.

are there ANY good flexible solar panels?
Probably the cheapest one you can find. I5s my understanding that they don't have a long lifespan compared to rigid panels. That said, I've got a renogy 100w panel that got creased, bad, and it works just fine for 2 years now. I got it for portability, and now have it velcroed to my truck roof to keep the battery charged/topped off.

Back