diy solar

diy solar

Bifacial solar panel discoloration on back side

Watts Happening

I call it like I see it.
Without further context, would the differing colors on the back side of these modules bother you, or be an indication of an existing or upcoming issue with the panel as a whole? They are used (obviously), but in theory not all that old.

You’ll notice darker modules, and ones that are lighter, maybe “dull”. I want to make sure I have realistic expectations, as well as not overlook an obvious sign of upcoming failure.

IMG_6163.jpeg

IMG_6160.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the backside of my bifacials are polycrystalline even though frontside is shingled monocrystalline. Yours have the same bluish tint on them.

frontside
20230316_153225.jpg

backside at golden hour.
golden hour2.jpg

If you are referring to the variation in the blue color. It's not an issue. It's mostly just how light is being reflected.

If you are referring to the variation in the blue color. It's not an issue. It's mostly just how light is being reflected.
Weird, in my garage it is very obvious regardless of angle. But hey, I’ll take it as a good thing.

I'm pretty sure the backside of my bifacials are polycrystalline even though frontside is shingled monocrystalline. Yours have the same bluish tint on them.

frontside
View attachment 165253

backside at golden hour.
View attachment 165254

I have NEVER seen vertical panels in my life ... totally bizarre ... Here in South TEXAS, USA our summer inclination is literally HORIZONTAL FLAT ...

I have NEVER seen vertical panels in my life ... totally bizarre ... Here in South TEXAS, USA our summer inclination is literally HORIZONTAL FLAT ...
Yep, I don't think this is something you should consider, but in here, near the arctic circle, vertical seems to be the way to go at least in the winter. Adjustable tilt would be nice for summer, but what I loose because of vertical tilt, I almost gain with better bifacial yield. Also we have over 19 hours of sun up here around summer equinox, so plenty summer production anyways.

Back