diy solar

diy solar

Question about Solar Shed temp limits and panel angles.

Randy540

20220526-214904-orig-1_orig.jpg

I'm planning on building mostly the off-grid system depicted above to charge/supplement an EV and be an emergency backup for the house.

The equipment is going in a new, currently un-insulated 10x12 wooden shed. I live in Virginia. I am planning on doing some insulating and modifications to the shed but as I decide what I want or need to do, my questions are as follows:

What are the realistic temperature limits I should be worried about for all the equipment to play nice. The operating temperature limits listed for the inverters and batteries are similar. How respectful do I need to be of those limits or should I be even more confined? Are there any solutions more specific to the batteries than climate control for the entire shed. (heated/cooled cabinets for example.)

The shed is painted white but has dark colored asphalt shingles and is not shaded. Its just a guess but I am thinking without ventilation it would be 10-15 degrees hotter inside during the summer. Would an exhaust fan that keeps the inside of the shed the same temperature as the outside be sufficient for a Virginia summer? What are the options in the winter to heat just the batteries vs. the entire shed?

Sidenote: I recently replaced the lead-acid battery in my RV with a CHINS smart LFP. It self heats prior to charging in the winter but it is located in a black tongue box. I had planned on painting the box white prior to summer but this discussion has me wondering if additional ventilation should be needed? Thoughts?

I don't drive my EV every day but somedays I will almost empty the battery. It is hard to say if this system is scaled correctly or not against its purpose to be an emergency back and a supplement, but generally speaking I think I will be over paneled in the summer and under paneled during winter. There is no specific number I am aiming at.

I have 16 of these 575w bifacials that will be mounted against a south facing fence at approximately a 45 degree angle to the ground. They will be on top of white gravel so there should be lots of reflection for the back side. I am pondering the benefit when doing the install of adding a modification that would allow the tilt angle to be changed throughout the year but I perceive I am well over paneled for the summer months. But if I add more batteries at a future time how much benefit (is it worth it) to make the panels adjustable at this time.

For my zipcode:

Your optimal tilt angles by season:
  • Spring: 31°
  • Summer: 16°
  • Fall: 31°
  • Winter: 46°
Realisitcally what % would I be losing with bifacials tilted 45 degrees in the summer instead of 16?

Thanks in advance for all the thoughtful replies. Appreciate it.

My average EV use over the last year was 25kwh per day, but that is average. Some days it is 5 other it is 90.

20220526-214904-orig-1_orig.jpg

I'm planning on building mostly the off-grid system depicted above to charge/supplement an EV and be an emergency backup for the house.

The equipment is going in a new, currently un-insulated 10x12 wooden shed. I live in Virginia. I am planning on doing some insulating and modifications to the shed but as I decide what I want or need to do, my questions are as follows:

What are the realistic temperature limits I should be worried about for all the equipment to play nice. The operating temperature limits listed for the inverters and batteries are similar. How respectful do I need to be of those limits or should I be even more confined? Are there any solutions more specific to the batteries than climate control for the entire shed. (heated/cooled cabinets for example.)

The shed is painted white but has dark colored asphalt shingles and is not shaded. Its just a guess but I am thinking without ventilation it would be 10-15 degrees hotter inside during the summer. Would an exhaust fan that keeps the inside of the shed the same temperature as the outside be sufficient for a Virginia summer? What are the options in the winter to heat just the batteries vs. the entire shed?

Sidenote: I recently replaced the lead-acid battery in my RV with a CHINS smart LFP. It self heats prior to charging in the winter but it is located in a black tongue box. I had planned on painting the box white prior to summer but this discussion has me wondering if additional ventilation should be needed? Thoughts?

I don't drive my EV every day but somedays I will almost empty the battery. It is hard to say if this system is scaled correctly or not against its purpose to be an emergency back and a supplement, but generally speaking I think I will be over paneled in the summer and under paneled during winter. There is no specific number I am aiming at.

I have 16 of these 575w bifacials that will be mounted against a south facing fence at approximately a 45 degree angle to the ground. They will be on top of white gravel so there should be lots of reflection for the back side. I am pondering the benefit when doing the install of adding a modification that would allow the tilt angle to be changed throughout the year but I perceive I am well over paneled for the summer months. But if I add more batteries at a future time how much benefit (is it worth it) to make the panels adjustable at this time.

For my zipcode:

Your optimal tilt angles by season:
  • Spring: 31°
  • Summer: 16°
  • Fall: 31°
  • Winter: 46°
Realisitcally what % would I be losing with bifacials tilted 45 degrees in the summer instead of 16?

Thanks in advance for all the thoughtful replies. Appreciate it.

My average EV use over the last year was 25kwh per day, but that is average. Some days it is 5 other it is 90.
great question - my recommendation is to tune the angle to when you will need the most power production. For me in FL, most of my demand is late spring through late fall. Therefore a 4/12 pitch was chosen. For maintenance reasons, I would not go above 6/12 (27 deg) if you need to walk on the structure for maintenance. Personally, I wouldn’t worry to much for adjustments, way too much in extra costs. For your area, I would go with 6:12 or 7:12 pitch or 6.5 if you can’t decide :) graphic added for your reference.

Attachments

• 05962699-03C4-4635-A4FC-63A7D13E3B6F.jpeg
    05962699-03C4-4635-A4FC-63A7D13E3B6F.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 4
Back