diy solar

diy solar

Big Battery Kong 2 Completely discharged so now what?

bfunfrules

Hello folks,

Not a newbie to solar but first time with this situation. Searched the forums but didn't see a thread with this problem. I apologize in advance if there is and would ask that you post a link to it in a reply.

We have a 3.9kW array, a Midnite Solar Classic 150 charge controller, a Schneider Conext SW 4048 inverter, and a Big Battery Kong 2 233 Ah 48V battery, in our off-grid system that powers a storage building that's about 90 minutes from where we live. Up until last June we had a 48v lead acid battery bank, but it was on its last legs and switched to the Kong at that time.

Now, an issue cropped up with our charge controller a week ago. We are working on resolving that, but for now our solar array doesn't charge our battery. So for this past week we were driving up every other day to use a generator to keep the charge up until we get the controller fixed (our inverter allows an external generator to charge the batteries). However, due to work getting in the way, the battery got completely discharged by yesterday am. Literally, when I arrived at the building the BMS displayed "charge battery" (not even a 0% reading) but the inverter was still operating. In the time it took me to plug in the generator and crank it up, the battery's little remaining energy ran out and everything shut off. Running the generator powered nothing in the building until I flipped the inverter bypass switch.

The inverter apparently needs the battery to provide enough dc energy/power in order to run. With zero battery power, the inverter is dead. Without the inverter, the generator cannot use the inverter's built-in battery charger to charge the battery. Kind of a catch 22.

Question: Will we need to buy a 48V battery charger, connect it directly to the generator, and charge the battery with it, at least until it has enough charge to power the inverter? I think the answer is yes, but thought I'd ask here in case someone else had an idea. I watched Will's video on the EG4 Chargeverter and seems like it would do the trick, but it's about $400. Is there an alternative?
Thank you
Walter

Not familiar with that particular brand, but it sounds like the BMS has triggered on a low battery voltage and shut down to protect the battery pack...
I had a quick glance through their manual (such as it is) and it doesn't specify how to reset the BMS on that model- maybe some else knows the trick on it?
(some require a simple 'disconnect from all loads, wait and reconnect to the charging source to reset the BMS, some others need to have a button sequence pushed to do a reset, others are 'auto resetting' when a charging voltage is present...)

Yes, you need some kind of 48v charger or power supply.

Even something like this might work:

Hopefully the output of that would be in the 48-60v range which would work.

Last edited:
I use the Iota DLS 54-13 for this purpose. Price isnt great and its only 13a but i got mine off ebay a while back and i only use it to wake up charge controllers and inverters when BMS shut down.
Chargeverter would be worth the investment as a backup charger if you can get your hands on one.

Back