diy solar

diy solar

Big solar panels and small batteries.

tuwimek

Hi!
I am planning to build a few solar systems for a local allotment site.
The site is very big with around 100 plots. I want to have 4 stations with two batteries each. One for CCTV camera and Wifi repeater and a second one as a charging station for tool batteries and mobile phones. I want to keep it separately so they can drain one battery, when the other stays unaffected.

Panels: UL-250M-60 (250W, Voc 37.6V, Vmpp 30.5V, Impp 8.20A)
controllers: I bought some cheap mppt modules up to 7A, 10A and 13A but they are only for 28V max, so I am thinking about a step-down module with CC.
batteries: 3S7P own build (18650) with BMS upto 25A. The cells are NCR18650BD with max charging current of 1A, so for 7 of therm, I believe the 5A max should be ok.

I read about some projects using just a step down module with CC set on float charge voltage and that was working fine.
I know it is not MPPT, but I dont mind losing some energy as the panel is 250W, and the charging power per battery will be around 60W.

Do you have any experience in non-MPPT step-down modules used for solar?

Do you think, I should use a step down module, then another charging controller?
In case of any overvoltage problems, is the BMS going to take care about the battery? (I wish ;-)

What do you think, is it a good idea? Or shall I invest into an expensive MPPT controller? I could not find any with the Current Control for small batteries.

Thanks

You can use step down modules, this method works well with pwm chargers, unsure about mppt

Victron have current control, 1A being the lowest increment

diy solar

diy solar
Back