diy solar

diy solar

Step down solar array from 150v to 60v

ToddParker

Hi all. I have some roof mounted residential panels in 3S arrays that are 120v that I feed into a Bluetti AC500. I'd like to also be able to use these panels with smaller power stations like the Delta Max or Anker Solix 2000 but it seems that most midsize power stations are moving towards a 60v limit which is pretty tricky to get optimized panels wired up.

I'm curious if there are relatively efficient options for buck converting 100-150v arrays down to 60v. Bluetti sells a (very expensive) PV step down module that converts arrays up to 550v down to 120v which won't work here but that's the general idea. Any recommendations?

curious if there are relatively efficient options for buck converting 100-150v arrays down to 60v.
Not ‘efficient’ but doesn’t cost anything to just charge them off the bluetthi suitcase, does it?
Otherwise 120V / 3 is 40V and you could just parallel a string.
Delta Max or Anker Solix 2000 but it seems that most midsize power stations are moving towards a 60v limit which is pretty tricky to get optimized panels
At the price of those I’m suspecting you aren’t trying to save on your electricity bills, so in my mind I’d either buy some 300W panels or buy some LiFePo batteries, a charge controller, an inverter, and let it rip.

Not ‘efficient’ but doesn’t cost anything to just charge them off the bluetthi suitcase, does it?
Otherwise 120V / 3 is 40V and you could just parallel a string.

At the price of those I’m suspecting you aren’t trying to save on your electricity bills, so in my mind I’d either buy some 300W panels or buy some LiFePo batteries, a charge controller, an inverter, and let it rip.
Yep, I can definitely just use the AC500 to charge these smaller power stations but was hoping there was a way to plug in directly, mostly so I can test the solar input on these smaller units without adding even more panels to the collection. As I figured, it's probably not a thing that can be done in a cost effective and efficient way. Thanks!

How many amps ay 60V do you want? Standard LED switching power supplies will work easily with 120V DC which are 180W or less. Above that power they use voltage doubling on the input which will not work on DC without modification. Prices are subject to change but I often troll ebay auctions and get 10A 12V supplies for $10 shipped. 10A 12V supplies can be set to a little over 13V and four could be put in series to get near 60V. These will not track with the panels. They will work well if panels are higher capacity than the draw. This is a great way to get emergency power from a HV array when a grid tie inverter does not support battery operation. You could experiment with just two for less than $25. I use these all over the place.

Back