diy solar

diy solar

Alternative to Bluetti after horrific experience? (Ireland/EU)

TBP

How did I get here:
Just about to secure a €1,899 refund via PayPal after a nightmare ordeal of lies with Bluetti EU lasting 3 months. I am Thermobaric_Potato over on Reddit r/bluetti. You can read about the insanity including them lying to PayPal to prevent me winning my Paypal claim here. Grab the popcorn.

and PayPal lies here

Specs Needed for Alternative Generator:
Looking for LiFePo4, 2kw (or higher), approx €2,000 budget but could go to €2,300. Mobile app (BT or Wifi but must be usable with no internet), heavy bias towards solar PV charging over wall outlet using non-portable fixed PV panels (its for a long term grid down SHTF scenario). Preferably 3 panel config as I plan to build a mobile solar cart to make it semi mobile and use it as a tracker. Must be useable by idiots in the family (which is all of them) if I'm not around hence I'm not going DIY.

Company:
In terms of customer service the bar is pretty low as anything is better than Bluetti. A company that will deliver the product and responds relatively quickly to queries (3-4 days is fine). Oh and doesn't lie to PayPal to keep customers from getting their money back :)

Went for Bluetti AC200 Max because:
2kw, under €2k, 1400w PV charging with D050s, app, 150v PV input. It appeared perfect for me but as above I have discovered what Bluetti are really like so never again.

Looking at:

Anker 767: Appears to have it all, LiFePo4, 2kw, integrated adapter, quiet, 1000w PV input. Appear to be reputable. But the 60v solar input seems very limiting compared to the 150v from competitors. Over panelling would appear to be out of the question and in Ireland in Autumn/Winter that would be a necessity.

Ecoflow Delta 2 + additional battery: Cheaper but bulkier than Anker 767 and solar PV of only 500w at 60v rules it out for me.

Ecoflow Delta Pro: Has it all but too expensive at €4000. Anyone know if these ever go on sale below €3000 (hoping beyond hope)

Jackery Explorer 2000 Pro: NCM not LiFePo4 so its out of the running.

Sadly units from Zendure etc are not available here in Europe. Is there anything else out there in Europe with LiFePo4 and the other specs or is waiting for something like the Ecoflow Delta 2 Max (hopefully with increased PV input) in the summer the only option. Sorry for the long 1st post and cheers.

With your budget and requirements, why not build an AIO with a Growatt? Upcoming Delta max will be LifePO4. What do you mean by “heavy bias towards solar”? How many watts do you need? Residential panels arent really “semi portable” and if you are just gonna get 3 100 or 200 watt panels, the Anker would be just fine. Really depends on your wattage needs.

With your budget and requirements, why not build an AIO with a Growatt? Upcoming Delta max will be LifePO4. What do you mean by “heavy bias towards solar”? How many watts do you need? Residential panels arent really “semi portable” and if you are just gonna get 3 100 or 200 watt panels, the Anker would be just fine. Really depends on your wattage needs.
Thanks for the reply and info. I hadn't heard of the Growatt. Will have a look to see if they are available here in Ireland. I would need to find a case for it and the external battery to all fit into. Will have a look around.

Sorry what I meant regards heavy bias towards solar is that I am expecting to be charging the unit almost exclusively from solar PV and not mains or any other source although I would like for their to be options for wall charging or charging from a a car battery if needed as backup to the PV.

Re how many watts honestly as much as possible in this form factor. Preferably north of 1kw solar PV input. I'm expecting in Irish winter to only take in maybe 20% panel capacity.

Re the semi-portable panels idea I'm looking at designing a wheeled cart/trolley to mount the panels and generator onto which can also act as a sun tracker. Likely would be around 200lb fully loaded (based on AC200 Max or Anker 767 weight) with 3 panels but if the generator was detachable from the base I'm thinking I'm looking at 140-150lb odd for the panels, hinges, bracing and cart base. More of a draggable. Wouldn't be going into a camper van but something that could be moved in a pinch to another location when SHTF unlike a roof mounted system.

I have to go with residential panels as the pricing I've seen recently for foldable panels like those sold by the generator manufacturers like Bluetti, Anker, Ecoflow is just far too much per watt for me to consider them viable.

I see a 2 kw inverter requirement, but what about daily kWh and number of days?

As I read through this I only see this being done with an AIO as a DIY build, but with a total weight of 200 LBS, that will really depend on the battery bank. My home built 13 kWh lithium battery bank is 200 LBS.

Cost will be cutting it close, and a smaller battery and locally procured solar panels could keep you in budget.

With building it guest proof, I feel you on that one. They always tend to find a way to exceed limits.

IF your total budget is $2,000 to $2,300 INCLUDING panels AND you want a good warranty and good customer service, the Anker is probably your best choice. With that budget, you won't be able to afford more than a couple panels anyway.

You can get a lot more bang for your buck with a DIY All in One system but they won't be "idiot friendly" and won't have the customer service and warranty you get from Anker or Ecoflow.

What do you plan to use the generator for? What loads? for how long?

Reactions: TBP
I see a 2 kw inverter requirement, but what about daily kWh and number of days?

As I read through this I only see this being done with an AIO as a DIY build, but with a total weight of 200 LBS, that will really depend on the battery bank. My home built 13 kWh lithium battery bank is 200 LBS.

Cost will be cutting it close, and a smaller battery and locally procured solar panels could keep you in budget.

With building it guest proof, I feel you on that one. They always tend to find a way to exceed limits.
As I'm looking at a PV solar solution for a long term grid down SHTF situation I'm not expecting to run a fridge (All the food I have prepped is canned so it wouldn't be necessary). In summer time I was thinking possibly 5kwh intake from a 1kw array. Charge up the generator and use during morning and afternoon (passthrough to keep the generator at 100%) doing cooking with a slow cooker, intermittent use of microwave, kettle, toaster, charging phones, tablets and laptop. I know I will likely get more than that on a summer day but I prefer to stay conservative. Hope for the best, prefer for the worst type scenario. Then drain the generator battery during the evening when no PV is available. Rinse and repeat each day.

In winter with a 20% intake thats down to 1kwh with the same PV array which is were the over panelling would be a nice option to compensate but that is especially were something like the Anker 767's 60v input would struggle with increased voltage due to cold weather. I also have wood to burn for winter heat and a few cooking appliances with TEG's for very small power devices in winter.

I have multiple smaller 5w, 20w, 25w, 28w, 2 x 60w folding panels backed to 3x Omnicharge 20+ battery's with 45w MPPT controllers and an assortment of 20 battery banks for the family for basic USB charging needs for phones and lights if the main generator runs out.

Re the budget of €2,000 to €2,300 would be for the generator only. The panels I reckon I can add on one by one as additional money becomes available. There is a local guy here in Dublin who often has panels for sale at more reasonable prices than the average PV outlet so I can keep an eye out for his items.

Last edited:
IF your total budget is $2,000 to $2,300 INCLUDING panels AND you want a good warranty and good customer service, the Anker is probably your best choice. With that budget, you won't be able to afford more than a couple panels anyway.

You can get a lot more bang for your buck with a DIY All in One system but they won't be "idiot friendly" and won't have the customer service and warranty you get from Anker or Ecoflow.

What do you plan to use the generator for? What loads? for how long?
Thanks. Sorry I should have been clearer. My bad. The €2,000 to €2,300 would be just for the generator. If the actual quality of the components in a DIY build is better (I hear some say on this forum the solar generator components are not great) I'm thinking maybe I would have to worry less about warranty and customer service. You have me thinking :)

I'm thinking if I could package the whole thing together in a case or rack were the family only have access to the external USB, AC/DC sockets and screen on the outside it might be safe enough that they don't succeed in frying themselves.

I am looking at Renology.. not sure if that is a USA only company. They seem to offer pretty good options.

A DIY system is definitely in your budget. Check out Will Prowses beginner videos on Youtube with Growatt and MPP. Also look at a youtube channel by "Lithium Solar" and his hand truck solar generator. You would need to use a cheaper battery than the server rack batteries they are using but definitely doable. If prepping for SHTF, then you need to learn more of the DIY anyway.

A DIY system is definitely in your budget. Check out Will Prowses beginner videos on Youtube with Growatt and MPP. Also look at a youtube channel by "Lithium Solar" and his hand truck solar generator. You would need to use a cheaper battery than the server rack batteries they are using but definitely doable. If prepping for SHTF, then you need to learn more of the DIY anyway.
Thats brilliant. Thanks. Will have a look at Will's and Lithium Solar's video in the morning. Cheers.

Alternative to Bluetti:

Pecron E2000LFP - 1300W PV input, 2000W inverter, 2kWh LiFePO4, no app, expandable to 8 kWh storage using up to two EB3000 battery packs, €1.599,00, available worldwide, $1169 in U.S., responsive customer service via email. PV input is 2 x 600W (32 - 95V) plus 1 x 100W (12 - 18V).

I have been running this unit daily since August 2022 when at this property. Recently added two EB3000 packs. The EB3000 each contain an additional PV input, 400W (12 - 95V). I currently have 1600W of panels connected to this setup, about to add 400W more.

I have a few of their other products: S1500F, E1500 Pro. Both solid and work well.

Last edited:
If you are DIY-capable, I think I'd pursue the hand-truck option further ... I'm admiring my MPP Solar 24v inverter, atop a pair of 12v100ah LFP batteries (24v cfg), all on a hand-truck with no-flat wheels, as we speak. This is an excellent way to testbed everything.

MPP has all kinds of options, for most every market of the world. So, $600 or so for my 24v MPP unit, a pair of $300/ea or so LFP batteries. Wiring, fuses, etc., and the MPP turns on.

Now add the kind of device output you want, for yourself and your "user base" of family/friends. Could be a 20-amp power strip only, as who doesn't know how to turn on a switch (at the mpp), and plug things (their existing phone charges, etc.) into the power strip? They plug the thing into the wall to recharge it, if grid-power available, or into the inverter-gen, if only gen power available. If solar panel(s) available, leave it plugged into those. The MPP handles it all for you/them.

Finally, skin it so they can't touch anything you don't want them to touch. Big red arrows pointing to MPP on switch, and "plug in here" for power strip.

Youtube vids abound to walk you through each step, if Will's own vids didn't make it clear for you. Lithium Solar's vid's on youtube describes how easy it is.

I'd definitely go the DIY route. Yes, the solar generators are well-packaged (sleek and pretty), but it's really a pretty face on a puny battery. Larger systems have more options and plug-in expandability, but the prices are then astronomical.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:
I agree - expensive but for those who dont want to get their hands dirty its the best out there as its 120v/240v ready without having to buy two units like the Ecoflow Delta Pro or Bluetti. I will stop now as this is the "DIY Forum" ???

Thanks for all the replies folks. Very very much appreciated. In a very very strange turn of fate and against my own better judgement after my experience dealing with Bluetti I ended up getting a crazy offer on a new AC200 Max so I decided to get it to use as a backup unit. It arrived to Ireland today which is something Bluetti EU couldn't seem to manage in 3 months instead deciding to dedicate their time to lying to both me and PayPal. God help me (or anyone else) if I ever have to deal with Bluetti for warranty.

Going to get a few PV panels on it and mount them on the garage and up my total budget by a couple of grand to buy either another higher power generator or go DIY with PV's on the main roof of the house to cover.

This could end up being very addictive :)

I'm surprised after all that you went ahead and still bought their product.
I'm still thinking to myself its a mistake but the offer was for the AC200 Max for €1300 incl VAT and I need something ASAP in case things go very very WW3 in the next few months so every pair of fingers and toes is now crossed it works and I never ever have to interact with Bluetti in Europe.

At that price it leaves me with some more options to buy another unit from a more reputable company or do a DIY AIO on top.

I'm still thinking to myself its a mistake but the offer was for the AC200 Max for €1300 incl VAT and I need something ASAP in case things go very very WW3 in the next few months so every pair of fingers and toes is now crossed it works and I never ever have to interact with Bluetti in Europe.

At that price it leaves me with some more options to buy another unit from a more reputable company or do a DIY AIO on top.
In case of WW3 you get many other problems as energy from a battery ?

Back