diy solar

diy solar

BigBattery OWL versus OWL MAX

mikemccand

I was considering BigBattery 12 V LifePO4 batteries (yes, I saw the scary electrolyte leak that @Will Prowse noticed!).

Specifically, I am trying to understand the differences between OWL and OWL MAX.

OWL is 2.16 kWh and OWL MAX is 2.6 kWh.

Current price shows the OWL a better deal in price/kWh.

OWL MAX can go up to 4S (48 V) but OWL can only go 2S (24 V).

Both have max charge current 175 A.

Does anyone know of any other differences? Does anyone have experience with both batteries and could compare?

Thanks!

I just got the Owl. I plan on staying with 12 volt setup. Amp hours checked out at 2.1 wh. The low voltage bms cutout was lower than I liked. 9.2 cutout. I understand the batteries should face up. So far good for me.

Awesome, that's a good data point, thanks @Tired Old Man! I am trying to set up a 4S 48V system using 4 Owl MAX 12 V batteries... just placed the order two days ago.

Awesome, that's a good data point, thanks @Tired Old Man! I am trying to set up a 4S 48V system using 4 Owl MAX 12 V batteries... just placed the order two days ago.
And that would be why you need the Owl max. Your going for a higher voltage. Is it going to be a fixed location or in a mobile location ?

And that would be why you need the Owl max. Your going for a higher voltage. Is it going to be a fixed location or in a mobile location ?
Oh, sorry, I just saw this reply.

It is a fixed location, in my basement, just as a "large UPS". Series is nice because then you don't need crazy thick (low AWG) wires feeding into your inverter.

But these Owl MAX batteries are on backorder and nothing has shipped yet. I patiently wait.

I wish the battery makers of the world would just choose BMS's that allow either parallel or serial connection, so we consumers are free to choose how we will arrange them.

Also, I forgot to use @Will Prowse discount code when I originally purchased the batteries. I emailed BigBattery, asking them to retroactively apply it, and they agreed and did so quickly, and a few days later I saw a refund ... so they were nice and responsive on that front.

I will ping them now to get more visibility on when Owl MAX batteries might ship out.

Is anyone else trying to buy OWL MAX batteries? I placed an order for 5X of these batteries, ~3 weeks ago (March 7), and they have not shipped yet.

OK I just got a reply from Bigbattery that OWL MAX is really still on backorder until April 26, boo.

I see BigBattery offers free shipping if one orders 5 or more batteries. Does anyone know if it’s a flat rate total of $119 for 4 or less batteries (vs $119 for each battery) - *Also-I hope I’m explaining this properly-does it come with the plug equivalent that connects the battery at the camper (? Anderson plug?) or do I need to buy that extra as well? Tia!

I got an email about a week ago saying my order has shipped, and I just tracked it and see they (5 OWL MAX) are out for delivery! Today is the day! Hopefully nothing leaking when they arrive, and I will be sure to keep the batteries upright.

>
I see BigBattery offers free shipping if one orders 5 or more batteries. Does anyone know if it’s a flat rate total of $119 for 4 or less batteries (vs $119 for each battery) - *Also-I hope I’m explaining this properly-does it come with the plug equivalent that connects the battery at the camper (? Anderson plug?) or do I need to buy that extra as well? Tia!
I ordered 5 batteries and saw $0 shipping, but I don't know if you order fewer whether that $119 shipping is per-battery. Just email them -- they are responsive in my experience.

The "OWL" uses 170Ah Lishen Cells V.S. "OWL MAX" uses 202Ah Lishen Cells and includes other bells & whistles.

Hope this helps..

- Eric Lundgren : CEO

Back