diy solar

diy solar

Bluetooth wishes - nothing to do with solar

eddie1261

Solar Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be great if someone would make a car stereo where the bluetooth in it could be used for file management? How great would it be to sit in my office and delete files from my car's thumb drive and copy new ones onto it? It won't be me who makes that happen but it HAS to be possible.

Wouldn't it be great if someone would make a car stereo where the bluetooth in it could be used for file management? How great would it be to sit in my office and delete files from my car's thumb drive and copy new ones onto it? It won't be me who makes that happen but it HAS to be possible.
I am 100% with you in wishing for this.

And the main reason I want it is this. I have about 2800 songs on the thumb drive I have in my radio. If I take it out of the radio and bring it inside to make the changes, when I plug it bake in it takes like 45 minutes to an hour to re-index. During that time I can play it on shuffle and all but I can't search by song or artist. I think for that to happen the radio itself would have to be in essence a computer and an MP3 player with phantom power to the thumb drive slot (which my radio has now) to not forget the indexing. This would be quite a bit of engineering, but man this would be popular.

Reel to reel is a bit bulky but it's the way to go when you want the best audio from your tube amp..

I have about 2800 songs on the thumb drive I have in my radio.
This always amazes me. At 3 minutes per song if played 24/7 that's over 58 days without a repeat. At $3.00 per song that's $8400. Do people spend that much on music? Do you really listen to all of it? I like many kinds of music but, I can spend a lot of time listening to nothing.

I had a square dance caller tell me he had over 10,000 songs on his computer, My first thought was, I wish you'd play more than ten of them. Even then more than 100 would be a lot.

This always amazes me. At 3 minutes per song if played 24/7 that's over 58 days without a repeat. At $3.00 per song that's $8400. Do people spend that much on music? Do you really listen to all of it?

The idea is to NOT listen to it all. Last year's road trip was 7 days in February and I rarely heard the same song twice. And 25 of them are my own composition so I didn't have to spend money on THOSE.... Just a lot of time. Hour after hour of layering track onto track onto track..... Then mixing, redoing the mix, redoing the redo..... And I also have 2000 CDs so I spent a lot of time ripping tracks. I also normalized them, resampling everything so ever song on that drive is at 320 bitrate. I spent a lot of time on that drive. But when you consider that from the time I started music lessons until today I have 63 1/2 years of my life tied into music, to me it's worth it. That includes 3 years on college where I earned a BA in Music.

One thing I also do is strip the ID3 tags off my files. All I leave is title and artist. I don't want the AI in the radio to see genre tags and start playing similar songs. The trip this year will be longer but given even as much as 8 hours in the car I still won't hear every song.

Last edited:
Reel to reel is a bit bulky but it's the way to go when you want the best audio from your tube amp..

And you have to stop driving every 2 hours to change the tape.

That make me smile because back in the day I used to use VCR tapes to make long mixes of music for parties. I could stick that tape in there and have 6 hours of music without paying attention to it. RARELY would anything I ever threw last more than 6 hours. Of course this was a time before PCs. Now of course the digital world has changed that and made life much easier. I have an external hard drive with close to 40 gigs of music on it, and that's about 10% of that drive's space. Remember, the older you are, the rule of numbers says the more music exposure you have had.I have stuff on here from obscure 60s bands, some local to Cleveland. All the way up to Dr. Dog, Dawes and The War On Drugs.

I still have my two reel to reels, the Sony TC-377 is not feeling so well now, but the Akai is still just about working. I digitized all my tapes many years back as I was concerned about tape deterioration and the decks themselves would pack in one day. I worked at the Ovaltine factory for the summer holidays to save up for for the Sony, wicked kit and great sound - not bad for £110.

Attachments

• Akai Reel to Reel.jpg
    Akai Reel to Reel.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Sony Reel to Reel.jpg
    Sony Reel to Reel.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2
I had a Sony I bought in the PX in Vietnam. TC-730 was the model. Had an amp built on it and speaker outs. Auto reversing, 15, 7 and 3.5 variable speeds. Liked it a lot. Lost interest in it in about 1996 and sold it. When stuff got digital I had no use for it. Sold off 25 creates of albums to a bulk dealer at the same time.

Hi Eddie, just found a picture of the machine you had - very nice. There's company in Germany called Ballfinger who still make reel to reels, they are beautifully engineered, however their starting price of 10,645 Euros makes my eyes water.

Attachments

• Sony TC-370.jpg
    Sony TC-370.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2
Ummm smartphone? My music is all on my phone. It connects to a $22 bluetooth adapter when I get close to my car. Done. The future is here lol.

Back