diy solar

diy solar

Partial Home Battery Backup with No Solar

BR260354

I apologize in advanced if this question / request has been posted prior.

I am in a townhome and will have no ability to install solar panels, at least not mounted. Temporary panels in a pinch, perhaps. Anyway, I'm looking for emergency backup power for a partial load of the house. I identified around 6 - 8 circuits. None are 240v....not looking to drive A/C, ovens, or anything large. My hobby is saltwater aquarium, so really looking to protect that. I already have a portable power station for that and works well. But I'm looking to cover a few more circuits.

Since I live in a hurricane prone area, I'm thinking I could do a battery backup system with a dual fuel generator to back that up / charge. Those 6 - 8 circuits I identified would be a peak usage of 3200wh. That includes items like TV and AVR running which those wouldn't be all the time. I want it to automatically switch to battery in outage and switch back....also charge the batteries after.

I like to tinker but not comfortable enough to work with panels and higher voltage. I'd probably hire someone to install. My first thought is to get something from Ecoflow (DPU/SHP2) or smaller, or Anker. EG4 seems to be more DIY. Anything else to consider?

Thanks for your time!

You can certainly have a battery back up based system, but the batteries are the most expensive component of a system.
If all you need is back up power, I would consider a whole house generator system.
It would be considerably less expensive than a generator/battery setup.
3200 watts of continuous load would use up a 14.3kWh EG4 battery in less than 5 hrs.
They are around $3600 per battery, one of the lowest cost off-the-shelf batteries per kWh.

Sure, I would do a whole home, but in a townhouse, I cannot. Also, 3200w is not continuous. At the most, it would be probably 1/3 of that most of the time.

Back