diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow not the whole home solution I thought...

blackheart

I was SOLD on the Ecoflow SHP2 and the new Delta Pro Ultra batter and inverter. Plug and play. Install the SHP2, plug in the battery and away you go...
Until I found out that the SHP2 is only a 12 circuit sub panel... Not a whole house solution... Per their website "The EcoFlow Smart Home Panel 2 is the center of your whole-home backup solution" ...So back to the drawing board.

1) I don't have solar yet and I have no intention of getting it if it is just grid tied.
2) I wanted a battery back up system to cover my whole house - but programmable to be selective on what I power at the time of need... I don't want to install a system that only covers priority circuits. I want to call the priority but have the option to turn it all on if the system is capable.
3) that battery backup would also serve as a time of use offset on a daily basis - again, this would be whole home, or priority set by me at the time.

What was perfect about the Ecoflow is that nothing went to the grid. If I added solar or wind or even a generator... Any power going in went to the batteries. Any power going out of the batteries only went to my use, not the grid...

But only 12 circuits... Not the whole house..

Anyone have anything installed that could handle 24 circuits, be about 6kWh of starting battery power (and expandable) and be under $7k??

It is a pretty small house - likely doesn't need 24 circuits, but that is the way it is wired. The daily average for the PEAK times for the month of January this year was 6.28 kWh. Even if the starter system only covered the peak of that peak time (using our microwave, etc when we are re-heating dinner...etc) that would be a bonus for me. Then the system can charge via solar, or the grid during the off peak times.

Let me know - just really bummed that the Ecoflow wasn't the whole home solution I thought - super plug and play friendly.

Do you need it to be automatic?
I use an interlock device on the main panel. When the power goes out I switch to battery and power the whole house.
I choose what breakers I think are critical at that time.

Do you need it to be automatic?
I use an interlock device on the main panel. When the power goes out I switch to battery and power the whole house.
I choose what breakers I think are critical at that time.
for the daily use of TOU offset - it should be automatic...
I have started looking for an automatic interlock - and then wire a generator plug in my basement, where the Ecoflow batteries would be held and charged (via grid to begin with) - but I don't have the smart panel portion to level load the house...
I've been looking into the Span panel - but yikes is that expensive - and they only sell to approved installers.... and the approved installer they have in my area is by far the most expensive electrical company around ;-( It is like the 'apple' product of home management.... only the few can install it for a premium ;-(

Right now, I am looking for a 'smart' auto transfer switch. I am not sure if that is available. And I guess I will go from there.
I didn't think I was trying to reinvent the wheel, but maybe there is a reason this isn't done?
But what to others to when they us their own power to offset TOU?

But what to others to when they us their own power to offset TOU?
I've got an Outback Radian inverter charger, configured to never output to grid. My Reliance manual transfer switch is always in inverter mode... normal operation, the Radian passes utility power through to the house. If the utility falters, the Radian picks up in a split second: lights don't flicker, microwave clock doesn't reset. I can program it to switch to battery during TOU high rate, 3pm to 9pm here... and to recharge the battery at lowest rate, midnight to 5am.

Back