diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels for Whole Home backup

Rumast21

I am working with a local solar installer to put in whole home solar backup. I'm leaning towards 18kpv with a power pro battery. My roof should have room to mount 30 400w panels, so now I'm left with picking the right panels.

My installer quoted REC N peak 3 at 240 a panel which is ok for REC, but I've found a lot more cost effective deals. For example, SS has CS panels for 156 each or Talesun for 108 each. Also, Inxeption has Msolar parks for roughly a 100 per panel.

Do I go with a more well known brand like CS or an off brand like Msolar that supposedly is domestic and has a 25/25 year warranty? Also, on that note, does anyone know if the CS panel is 25/25 at SS? There is an asterisk that says only certain regions but doesn't give further details. I'm in WI, but I have no idea if that qualifies as one of the certain regions.

Lastly, for aesthetics, the SO requires all black panels.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm guessing 60-70 thousand? Do you have that many power outages to justify it? Couple things to look at.
What are your net metering rates? I use my utility as my battery because my rates are 1 to 1. How many RECs will you get if any? My RECs paid for my system. I've had one power outage at this location in 9 years, the 1500W camping generator ran the sump pump just fine.

Have you talked to your installer about the EG4 equipment and are they onboard?

The kind of installer recommending RECs like that are probably used to installing microinverters and Enphase or Tesla batteries. They will get skittish about off grid inverters.

Lastly, for aesthetics, the SO requires all black panels.

Any help is appreciated.
All black panels really make little difference. During the day when the sun is shining, the panels are shiny, you won't notice the frame. At night, it's dark, you won't notice the frame. Sure, if it makes life better for you, go for it, but in reality, it's really only limiting you.

All black panels really make little difference. During the day when the sun is shining, the panels are shiny, you won't notice the frame. At night, it's dark, you won't notice the frame. Sure, if it makes life better for you, go for it, but in reality, it's really only limiting you.
All black is to get my SO on board, plus I think it is a nicer look myself.

All black is to get my SO on board, plus I think it is a nicer look myself.
No, I get what you are saying. I wanted black originally too, but the panels I wanted weren't available in black. But when I look at my roof, I couldn't tell you what color they are. Don't really even notice them, except when the sun shines off of them.

Have you talked to your installer about the EG4 equipment and are they onboard?

The kind of installer recommending RECs like that are probably used to installing microinverters and Enphase or Tesla batteries. They will get skittish about off grid inverters.
That was my understanding, but I'll double check. He does mainly do enphase, but he has done one EG4 install before. It seems like installing the 18kpv and power pro would be simpler than having to hookupall the micro inverters.

No, I get what you are saying. I wanted black originally too, but the panels I wanted weren't available in black. But when I look at my roof, I couldn't tell you what color they are. Don't really even notice them, except when the sun shines off of them.
My SO notices a paint imperfection from 10 ft away. I'm not going to listen to "I wish we went all black" for 25+ years. 😅

Back