diy solar

diy solar

BMS recommendation needed, and breakers too

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So after my experiences with JK, I'm not using them anymore so I need recommendations on different brands of BMS.

I need:
4s and 8s versions (I work with both)
120+ amps continuous
Bluetooth
Low temp protection
Heater function/control

I don't think such a beast exists lower than 16s but I figured I'd ask.

Bonus points if someone can recommend a source for 120-160a DC breakers that DON'T require a DIN rail and I can mount through a battery box face plate. The smallest thing I've found was a 160a industrial breaker that I used in my battery build but is overkill. Smaller than that seems to top off at 50a. DIN rail breakers like the Chixi aren't going to work, I need the terminals need to be on the back and holes I can put screws through.

Anything out there that doesn't cost "What company are you with?" Moneys.

Interesting.
I'm considering switching from JBD to JK for the active balancing, otherwise I have zero complaints, they work great.
I'm currently running 2 12V and 3 contactor version 16s. I was using one of them 8s config before upgrading to 16s.
I'll find some model numbers.

Did you see if Midnite offers the breakers you're looking for? I'm running 3 of those panel mount 100a for battery disconnects.

Here's a breaker that may work.

Price of shipping on the BMS is silly.
JBD High Power Smart BMS 7S 8S 10S 12S 13S 14S 17S 18S 20S 21S Built-in BT 200A Balance 24V-72V Liithium Battery

4S 150A with heat option.
Built-in BT JBD 3S 4S 12V LFP NMC Smart BMS 100A 150A Support Connected in Series Common Port Balance For Car Starting Power

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231228-202026.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228-202026.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20231228-202237.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228-202237.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1
Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your Thread Rednecktex. But, because I was just thinking about BMS's after Steve_S mentioned the need for 50C Thermal protection versus the 75C that my BMS I bought for my new build has, specifications on them need to be watched.

Although I am not interested in cold weather or remote monitoring of the BMS for a low cost unit. I am concerned about things like types of balancing, voltage protection levels, instantaneous current, continuous current, max charge current and of course the 4-16S+ arrangements.

So I am tagging this Thread. :)

Here's a breaker that may work.

Price of shipping on the BMS is silly.
JBD High Power Smart BMS 7S 8S 10S 12S 13S 14S 17S 18S 20S 21S Built-in BT 200A Balance 24V-72V Liithium Battery

4S 150A with heat option.
Built-in BT JBD 3S 4S 12V LFP NMC Smart BMS 100A 150A Support Connected in Series Common Port Balance For Car Starting Power
Huh. Neither of those support a heater which when my camp stays below freezing for months on end is kinda important.

For some reason it seems like only the 12 volt versions have heater enabled although I see the heating solder pads on the 24 volt JBD BMSs that I got from their site directly.

The JBD direct website has free shipping. I've ordered from them three times and noticed that they have all features enabled (RS485, UART, heating, Bluetooth) and they include the stainless bolts which have been missing when I have ordered from other places AND some of the features were not enabled/soldered on when I ordered from other places despite same price.

Aaahh, there it is. We'll see in a couple weeks if it does the trick or not.
They delivered fast for me. I hope it works for you.

For some reason it seems like only the 12 volt versions have heater enabled although I see the heating solder pads on the 24 volt JBD BMSs that I got from their site directly.

The JBD direct website has free shipping. I've ordered from them three times and noticed that they have all features enabled (RS485, UART, heating, Bluetooth) and they include the stainless bolts which have been missing when I have ordered from other places AND some of the features were not enabled/soldered on when I ordered from other places despite same price.
I'll check out the direct site for my next round, if I don't go with another brand, last time it was cheaper through the ali store.

Back