diy solar

diy solar

bought used quattro, repair suggestions

Dantheman

just bought a used quattro 24v 120v 5kw and it seems to have been used on a boat. some salt crystals found and a few drops of rusty water fell out when turning it different orientations on the workbench. opened the bottom fan panel and see rust on the larger bolts on each side and black marks opposite the control board - i am assuming it got wet and blew something, anyone know a good repair place in florida? also any suggestions or info on parts and prices outside of labor? thanks for any help

bump... what do you say guys, am i SOL and its a dead unit or is there some hope to service and repair it?

that is the plan, just checking here if there were any steps i could take before going there. i appreciate the answer, thank you

update: victron sales rep contacted me saying that with water ingress they would not likely try to repair it... a bit disappointed that there isnt a secondary market for parts if they fail in such a catastrophic manner

i havent tried applying power yet, i saw rusty droplets of water and salt crystals and didnt want to rush to do it. will do if in a dead end or possibly when advised to. here are some pics, not sure they are exactly what you are asking for, didnt tear it all the way down just to the point of access. it doesnt look too bad to my ignorant eye, hoping its a simple part or fuse that blew.

Attachments

• IMG_1763.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1770.JPG
    IMG_1770.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 32
wtf...
pcb looks ok but the capacitors don't and those are probably most likely things to fail (on the pcb)
all the mosfets, diodes and resistors that I can see look good too.. I guess those would be hardest thing to replace

can't tell if those resistors right above the larger cap are rusty
1709893395077.png

I'd get a super soaker and fill it with 90% alcohol and blast it (not even kidding)
will clean it up good, and blow a fan at it while you do it
don't have any flames around, try not to blow anything up

wtf...
pcb looks ok but the capacitors don't and those are probably most likely things to fail (on the pcb)
all the mosfets, diodes and resistors that I can see look good too.. I guess those would be hardest thing to replace

can't tell if those resistors right above the larger cap are rusty
View attachment 200796

I'd get a super soaker and fill it with 90% alcohol and blast it (not even kidding)
will clean it up good, and blow a fan at it while you do it
don't have any flames around, try not to blow anything up
ill take more photos of this area, there is a lot of black and gritty residue that i assumed that was from fried electronics somewhere, sprayed across things as well

ill take more photos of this area, there is a lot of black and gritty residue that i assumed that was from fried electronics somewhere, sprayed across things as well
The flatish tan/yellow/blue etc tantalum capacitors when blowing can do like straight black dust
The taller silver color with a black cover (that has the print on it) capacitors can produce almost rusty-charcoal looking dust stuff (that might be your gritty stuff)
or the flat (SMD) soldered on caps can be either but probably ceramic

Attachments

• 1709895344295.png
    1709895344295.png
    275.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1709895393331.png
    1709895393331.png
    216.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 1709895410328.png
    1709895410328.png
    448 KB · Views: 14
that would require major work to repair if it's even repairable. it would become an even worse money sink. i've never repaired these type of devices but i was a district manager for phone/console/tablet repair stores for a few years. We saw plenty of water damaged stuff and while some times we could save it, i likely wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

that would require major work to repair if it's even repairable. it would become an even worse money sink. i've never repaired these type of devices but i was a district manager for phone/console/tablet repair stores for a few years. We saw plenty of water damaged stuff and while some times we could save it, i likely wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.
i was hoping i could buy a new board, shouldnt be that expensive imo but if they are scarce that would change things. i believe victron coats their products in a conformal coating to prevent moisture and salt from damaging in boat applications, i wasnt sure how equivalent to non-treated electronics it would be, it is not a proofing, maybe a slight resistance given with it. the inverter didnt seem to be submerged. i thought these devices were serviceable

The flatish tan/yellow/blue etc tantalum capacitors when blowing can do like straight black dust
The taller silver color with a black cover (that has the print on it) capacitors can produce almost rusty-charcoal looking dust stuff (that might be your gritty stuff)
or the flat (SMD) soldered on caps can be either but probably ceramic
ill take better photos and maybe a video linked with better lighting later, ty for the direction to aim at

I'm sure you can replace the board(s) but not sure where to source one.
actually had the victron sales rep follow up and ask for photos, hasnt responded since. but he mentioned in the initial response that after 10 years the parts start to become unavailable. good and bad that there are not enough dead products to have a robust third party parts market

update on the victron rep: says boards are fried and cant repair, i asked if there is a way to source replacement boards but the tone was very negative on a fix

actually had the victron sales rep follow up and ask for photos, hasnt responded since. but he mentioned in the initial response that after 10 years the parts start to become unavailable. good and bad that there are not enough dead products to have a robust third party parts market
he's probably crying looking at the abuse
update on the victron rep: says boards are fried and cant repair, i asked if there is a way to source replacement boards but the tone was very negative on a fix
after seeking therapy he is back.. sad he's negative to it, wish more companies would just give you parts for stuff
It's definitely repairable but it's a hobby thing otherwise it takes so much time (especially for the newbie) it isn't worth it

Back